Saturday, September 1, 2007

September 1, 2007 - Tikus!

I learned a new Indonesian word today, tikus (rat). I won't go into detail about why...but I will tell you it has to do with the kitchen and a missing breadstick...I, also, for the first time had a man come to my door on a motorcycle with the back leg of a bobi (pig) (laugh, Brenda) in a bag. This was a huge leg-hoof and all. He plopped it down and the pembantus helped him cut it all up to freeze. Another first, I had a little boy come to my door to tell me he saw a snake in our yard (little snake). Jodi, brave Jodi, went out to see it but it was gone. These are all things I would have rather not been a part of, but I am telling myself to get used to since it is part of the culture.
The dorm kids were all still at the beach, except for one, so we decided to have a party. We had quite the houseful last night. We had a friend of ours from college, Rich, and with his wife, Karen, and 3 kids. (Funny thing, my sister, Carlena used to date Karen's brother before she met Donald, small world.) We had Jason and Jodi and their 3 kids and Carolyn and her 2 kids and their friends and the dorm girl, Kelsea, and her friends and all of us...The boys all went out and got some Indonesian food and Jodi made choc. cake and apple pie, and I made a salad and fruit. The kids had a blast playing together, the boys played pingpong and the girls talked. We finally put the kids to bed at 10:00. Wyatt said, "Can we do this every night?"
I took Sophie on a "shopping spree" since she needed to buy a birthday present for a party on Monday, and I let her buy a new pair of flip-flops (25,00 rupiahs, $2.50) and a new skirt (10,000rupiahs, $1.00). She has them on and they look so cute. I will take a picture.
My Mom is having a big, huge garage sale this weekend at our old house if anyone is looking for something to do. I'd go, but it is a little far...
Happy Memorial Day weekend!
Have fun,
Rachel

No comments: