Sunday, September 30, 2007

September 30, 2007 - Change of Pace

For a change of pace, we decided to go to an Indonesian church today. What fun that was. I only understood about 10 words, but I loved their energy. The pastor was so enthusiatic. I learned from Jason that he was preaching on the story of Cain and Abel and why God thought that Abel's sacrifice was acceptable and Cain's was not. Abel made the sacrifice by faith. They were so friendly, and quite lively in their praise music. It was a great experience for us. Afterward they had some boiled potatoes (well, at least it looked like potatoes, I don't remember the Indonesian name) with a hot salsa like sauce and they invited us to have some with them. So we all tried them-not too bad. After the service I was taking pictures of the kids with the digital camera and showing the pictures to them. They went nuts seeing themselves like that. What fun!!!! I went to my first baby shower since coming here. It was for an American girl that just had her 3rd baby. To tell you the truth, it looked very much like a shower in the States. Some of the ladies had ordered gifts online from Target and had friends from the States mail them here, so she got some very nice stuff. It was strange sitting here in the middle of nowhere looking at clothes and blankets from Target and Old Navy. It was a good chance for me to get to know some of the other Moms in the area.
Wyatt had a blast today. While the girls and Cale were napping we had an amazing storm and I told him he could go out and play in it. If I hadn't been on my way to the shower I would have loved to run out in the rain myself. It was coming down so hard, I could have easily bathed him out there. :) Two of the dorm girls ran out in it as well. Rain doesn't stop anything here. Life goes on even with blinding downpours.
My Bible study went well tonight. I got back from the shower just in time. We talked about friendships. What kind of friend are you? What could you do to be a better friend? We looked at Ps.55 where David talks about being betrayed by a friend, and Daniel 3 with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednigo standing together for God and Ps. 1 where we are to like a tree ...and bear fruit. And we talked about what kind of fruit we are bearing? The kids are opening up more so we had some great discussions.
Well, we still don't have internet at the dorm so we are back in the computer lab. Garth is trying desperately to post 6 pictures. We have been here a half hour and one picture has gone through. So, we'll see.
Love you all,
Rachel

No comments: