Sunday, September 16, 2007

September 16, 2007 - Difficulties

So many times in our lives things happen that we don't understand. And often in the back of our heads we say,"If I was running this deal I would have done it differently." When in reality if we were in charge we would mess things up like crazy, for sure. But anyways to let you know why I am saying all this. I got back from the doctors today and found out that I have a herniated disc in my back. From what? Well, it could have been volleyball or basketball, running, or walking up the hills, or the ojek rides over all the bumps or just from picking up Cale. Who knows. I have always been real active so these activities shouldn't have been bad, but apparently I did something. Last Friday, I remember noticing that my back was hurting. But I didn't think anything of it at first. I have been doing so much and standing on these hard floors in the kitchen-there's no carpet. So I started wearing my shoes more in the house thinking that would help. I got some icyhot and did some stetching on that muscle, along with taking Aleve. However, nothing helped. It just kept getting worse. Then we had all of our trips to Vanimo and to Jayapura and I didn't have time to do anything about it. But this last Thursday the pain started to spread around to my hip, then yesterday it started to go down my leg. So the doctor came here to see me and told me that it is the disc. She gave me some muscle relaxers and put me on bed rest. I have an appt. for Tues at 11 so I will let you know more. Pray for Garth because now he has so much more to do. Praise the Lord that we have pembantus to help with the cooking and cleaning. If anyone has advice on what I could do to help my disc heal, please let me know. I will try just about anything at this point.
Last night was the first youth group here on the hill. They met in the church. The whole thing is student led and they do a fantastic job. About 50 kids showed up and they asked Garth to come and speak. They have their own praise and worship band and boy, do the kids love to sing! Garth taught them table climbing and they loved that. So it was a really good night. They got together and prayed for about 30 minutes. They were praying for people effected by the earthquake, friends of theirs trying to get visas to stay, parents that were far away... They mature quick here.
The dorm kids are all pitching in to help so I can stay in bed. They worked on lunch and cleaning up and feeding Cale. Wyatt and Emma and Sophie gave me a foot massage, and rubbed cream on me and did my hair.
I was hesitant to put in the blog about my back because I know it will make you feel bad, especially my family. I am ok Mom, Dad, Eena...But I wanted you all to pray so that maybe I get better quicker. I have never been a quick healer but maybe this will be the exception.
So I won't be able to do much of anything but I will be able to read e-mails :) Hint, hint.
Love you all
Rachel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel, I can sympathize with your back pain. I've found two things that have helped to releave my pain. 1) Sleep on your stomach with your legs straight out. This will help to naturally heal the disc. 2) While you are lying down, push up with your arms until your elbows are straight. If you can do this and hold the position for ten seconds and then relax down for ten seconds you will begin to put the disc back in its proper place.
I hope this helps. I've found these 2 things to be very good for me.
Curt