Saturday, September 8, 2007

September 7, 2007 - Game Day!

Game day! At Hillcrest, Friday nights are the highlight of the week. Every Friday there is a game here between our school and local Indonesian schools. Right now the sport is volleyball, then soccer and basketball. Each week a different class is in charge of making a meal to sell and all the money goes toward their class. These are very well planned out meals. Tonight was tostados, soft shell tacos, watermelon, & brownies along with snowcones, frozen lattes, cappucinos etc. They do a great job. And our girls and boys volleyball teams won! Not that it is all about winning cuz it's not. But I was happy for them..They have all been working so hard. The whole night was a lot of fun. It is a great ministry opportunity since it brings in so many people (Indonesians) from the community and gives us an opportunity to interact. I had fun sitting by a bunch of Indonesian kids with Cale and Emma. I found out that not only do they love Cale's hair, (rampoot) but they also love SweetTarts. So we had fun sharing candy with them.
After much thunder and rain today we had the most amazing double rainbow. It was complete arches with every color all the way down to purple and blue. I was up by the computer lab getting my visa picture taken when I saw it, so I ran home to get the camera and ran back-but, of course, it was gone...so just picture it in your mind with a mountain and a waterfall behind it.
The birthday parties all went well. I was trying not to be a perfectionist with the cakes. Things just don't bake as well here- maybe I need to add something to the recipes because of the high elevation and the humidity. They both decided to slide off but we pushed them back on and froze them. I did get up during the night to check on them and decided it is better if I don't know about all of the creepy crawlies that are up at night. I had my first experience with a centipede, if you can call it that. It was big-ugh! As I am going to kill it I hear one of the kids say, "Be careful, some of them are poisonous." Yeah-pleasant thought, right before bed.
I did play basketball with some of the ladies in the area. That was a lot of fun and I hope to do it every week. They have invited me to play floor hockey with them. I don't care much for floor hockey but I do feel like it would help me feel connected with the "adults" instead of just with the kids, plus it is another ministry opportunity, so I will try it on Monday. Garth was able to play racquetball twice today which he so enjoys. We finally had a little break in the heat - it has been incredibly hot the last 2 days. So the break was nice.
Cales' foot is almost completely healed. The new skin in coming in very nicely. We don't even have to bandage it now, we just keep his shoes on and keep it cleaned. Thank you to everyone that prayed.
AND a praise for my 2 new cousins that just came into the world this week. Dean and Missy Wardle had a boy, James Stewart and Ron and Kerrie had a boy, Mason Reed Joshua. Both are good and healthy.
Please pray for Garth's Mom and Stepdad as they are both in the hospital.
Today's a good day to try something new!!!!
Love, Rachel

No comments: