Thursday, September 6, 2007

September 6, 2007 - Life lessons...big and little

We are often defined by what we do, or we create our sense of self-worth based on how much we can accomplish. I was always busy in the States and felt a sense of pride in that. My day would be packed full of many of the things that have been taken away from me here. You ask any stay-at-home Mom how she would fill her day if she didn't have to cook, clean, or do laundry and she will probably look at you funny while she thinks. I have pembantu's helping me here, (which is a HUGE relief with 18 people), but it is funny how much changing your daily routine affects you. I found that I miss being in the kitchen so I have found great joy in making muffins for breakfast or the afternoon snack. I do not miss the laundry, and have been cleaning our apartment "for fun."
At first I wondered what I would do all day with my time, but surprisingly my day seems to be full without those things. I have found that one of the things I was lacking in the States with my busyness was availability. I am much more available now when people need me, (and there are lots of people that need me now.) The kids, all of them-mine included, really matter and I want to be there for them when they need me.
Other things I have learned: When it feels like something is crawling on you, it is.
When Sophie yells "BUG" - grab Garth's shoe cuz
mine might not be big enough
It is ok when the power goes out (again)
Don't take water for granted
There are no rules when it comes to driving
Things will get done when they get done
Just because someone is smiling and nodding their head
doesn't mean they understand you
Roti (bread) is not the same word as mandi (shower)
And juta (million) is not the same word as tuju (seven)
You can't use "It's too hot" as an excuse cuz it is
always too hot
I LOVE e-mails-they make my day!!!!!
We had our first dorm birthday party today for Lydia (18). The girls helped me make the cake and all loved it. That was a fun bonding experience. Thank you to everyone (Mom and Joyce) for sending me frosting recipes. I greatly appreciate them.
Love to all,
Rachel

1 comment:

AnnaK said...

your experiences seem unreal to me - I'm sure they feel that way to you guys too! I'm so glad you post everyday - I check once in the morning and once at night to see what you've written!
Please keep writing - OH and can you please send a list of things you need?

Thanks Rachel and family.
Love,
Anna