Wednesday, September 5, 2007

September 5, 2007 - Birthdays, birthdays, birthdays!

You know, as a parent, you always try to carefully "condition" your childs' environment. Who they hang out with, what they do, even what they experience. You don't want them to have to go through hard times, (even though you know in the back of your mind that hard times make you a better person.) But you always want them to be comfortable. Well, coming here and leaving our comfort zone, we have experienced things that I wouldn't have picked for my kids'. The heat, the bugs, the language adjustment, new home, new friends...but you know, I wouldn't have picked it, but God picked it. And it is all for a reason. And I am seeing that it is good. It is ok for us to be uncomfortable at times. In America we are so spoiled, we have so many luxuries that we take for granted. I keep praying that I get everything out of this experience that I am supposed to and that I go home a different person for life. Don't read this and think that I am a great person for doing this, because it is not about me. I am just letting God use me here. Everyday that I wake up I have to decide if I am going to notice what I can learn from the day or if I am going to have a "poor me" attitude and miss it all. There are days when I miss everyone and the routine of my "old life" and wish I was back there in my nice house, but I tell myself to look at today, here, and see what I can do , here.
And I am trying. Pray that I don't focus on myself, and lose sight of the big picture.
Today is Ibu Poppi's birthday, so we made her a cake and a card and will surprise her at lunch. We all said "Selamat hari ulang tahun, Ibu Poppi!" (Happy Birthday) Today is also Jason birth day, tomorrow is one of the dorm kids, Lydia's 18th and Jodi's, and the next day is Sungsu's. So this is not the week for our store, Multi-Jaya to run out of powdered sugar. I have been looking all over for it, and only found a little bit...ugh! How do you make frosting without powdered sugar. Anyone have any ideas?
Garth is playing racquetball, we just had our Indo class and then I had recess duty. Now Cale is waking up from his nap. so I must go. And I hear thunder cracking in the distance so I feel a storm brewing...
Love,
Rachel

No comments: