Friday, September 14, 2007

September 14, 2007 - Double Blog!



I know that Garth already sent out an e-mail, but I kept thinking of things I wanted to say and he wouldn't let me so I am writing my own. He is a goof, but he did a good job.
O.k. the windows live messenger that we have in our aptartment has expired so we may not be able to IM you until Garth gets his laptop on the 28th. Just wanted to let you know. However, we can still get e-mail so keep them coming!!!!! :)
A funny story about Emma. I got one of her school papers back. They were to color a picture of a door and write what they would like to find behind the door. She said "If I could look inside the door, I would like to find a wunderland with puppys that lik my fingers!" Interesting...
The kids are adapting their new culture into their make believe here. The girls were playing Barbies and had them carrying things on their heads, walking through the jungle and making rice. It is so interesting to listen to them. They brought Barbies with in the taxi and I think it helped Emma to not throw up. She was preoccupied and did a great job of not getting sick.
The trip was long, but it is behind us. I am so glad. We were just going to head home right after the fingerprinting since Cale was so tired, but Garth decided that we could go to KFC since we were right by it. YEAH!!!! And praise the Lord we did, cuz right when we came out, our driver got a call that we had to go back to the Immigration office because they forgot to have us sign something. If we hadn't stopped at KFC we would have been almost home. But this way we were right by it. It is a blessing when things work out like that. It was funny at the police station when we were getting our finger printing done, the officer stopped and went to get his camera so that he would have pictures of himself fingerprinting the Americans. We are putting a picture of him on the blog. He was smiling the whole time. There were 2 ladies in the Immigration office that said they saw us at the PNG border on Tuesday. They are from Holland and will be going to a place called Wamena to teach with an organization called Eduventure. It is always nice to run into people that speak English. And our taxi driver stopped at his house on the way home because he had to use the toilet-he got out and said "3 minutes". You wouldn't see that in the States.
I am an official Indonesian Ibu (MRS.) now. I rode an ojek home side saddle! With a bag and a box of groceries! Most of the ladies ride side saddle so I fit right in. (An ojek is our taxi motorcycles) They are starting to know me at Multi-Jaya. Today I got on the ojek and he didn't even ask me where to go-he just knew. There aren't many white skinned people but there are TONZ of ojek drivers. Ibu Poppi taught me how to make maple syrup today. It is easy. I guess I thought it was hard. You take 6 cups of sugar in a big saucepan, 3 cups of hot water, and 3 tsp. of maple flavoring ( you can get it at Walmart). Stir on the stove until all the sugar is dissolved. Done. You can also add fruit filling or fruit to flavor it. We will try it tomorrow and see how I did.
The boys volleyball team won their games tonight. All 3 games. The Indonesians are surprisingly good, though. Most of them play in barefeet, but they have uniforms and a coach and everything. It is such a neat ministry opportunity. I was playing with one of the little boys tonight that kept getting water out of the water cooler. They hardly ever have cold water like that, and I am sure their water is not filtered like ours is. We do allow some of them up to the spring on the hill to get fresh water. They line up with jugs every morning. One of my pembantus was there with her friend to watch the game. She wanted her friend to meet me so we sat together for awhile. Oh, the Ballpark hotdogs were great.. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite.
Cale is much better. He just had some weird stomach bug but woke up fine. Thankfully tomorrow, we will be here all day so he can be in a normal schedule.
Good night to all
Love
Rachel

No comments: