Sunday, September 9, 2007

September 8, 2007 - Food

My morning started with pancakes and bacon-what a nice way to start. Ibu Poppi made us syrup so I fried us up some pancakes. Stacks and stacks of them. Then we went over to Jason and Jodi's house where I was able to explore their grounds and see pineapple growing, and cocoa growing on the trees, I even picked some lemongrass to use in the dish I am making for Sunday dinner. We also saw the puppy their dog had last night. How fun! Later we swapped kids, they took Emma for a sleepover with Lexie and we took Maya for a sleep over with Sophie.
Hey, I made "pigs in a blanket" tonight. I was so excited. I found "hot dogs" in a store so I made up some bread dough for the piggies and they were actually pretty good. Then some of the dorm kids helped me work on the meal for tomorrow. It has lemongrass, tumeric, garlic, onions, potatoes, chicken, and a sauce made out of coconut milk and then you pour the whole thing over rice. It is a strange green color but hopefully it will taste yummy.
We just got done watching Freedom Writers" with the dorm kids. It was very inspiring-especially for us in our situation right now. The movie showed how every kid has potential if you are willing to look for it and notice it. I feel like these kids have an extreme amount of potential. They are so smart because they let themselves learn from each other. They aren't afraid to ask questions or try new things. So when one person learns something they teach it to the rest. Like the other day Korey was teaching them how to swing dance and they were doing a fantastic job. I was very impressed. It was like "Dancing with the Stars" only better.
I wanted to let you all know that as of now, Tuesday is the day that we will be going to Vanemo, Papua New Guinea to get our visas. We will leave at 6 am and drive the 2 hours there and stay, hopefully only one night, and get our visas and then come home. Pray that all goes well with that.
I must go to bed, It is way past my bed time.
Love you all,
Rachel

No comments: