Thursday, November 1, 2007

October 31, 2007 - Funny Times in Sentani

Today when Garth and I came back from shopping our gate guard (penjaga) opened the gate for us with a gun in his hand. I thought that was weird, but I know he is here to protect us so I didn’t think much of it. Later when we went out he was standing there with a 5 foot snake (alive) in his hands and up his arms. The head of that snake came too close to our heads for my comfort-he was asking us something, I don’t know what, but I do know whatever he asked my answer was “NO!” I was wishing he had the gun instead. YUCK!! Our friend Jason bought the snake from him for 30.000 rupiahs, about $3.00. They have a snake cage that was empty and wanted to fill it. In my opinion, it should have stayed empty. The guard had been swimming in a river nearby when he saw the snake go by and swam to get it. He said he knew that the Westerners would buy it. It was NOT poisonous-thankfully. Emma is supposed to go over to their house tomorrow for a birthday party…I said “Yes” that she could go before the snake, but now…ugh! I am sure it will be fine, however, I do know that the last snake they had escaped out of his cage, and disappeared. In situations like this I am SO thankful that God is in control, and I can know that He is with my little girl wherever she goes, and nothing can happen to her that God does not allow. I thought about that last night. We had two earthquakes. That is the fifth one since we’ve been here. A friend of mine that has been here 5 years says that she only felt 5 quakes in her time here. So for some reason, they are becoming more frequent. If anyone knows about why that would be, let me know.
Today, I took Sophie and Emma to our clothing store, (our one and only big clothing store), and Sophie was waiting for Emma over by the shoes. She was standing very still being so patient. I saw a grown man standing there looking at her, so I watched to see what he was up to. He walked over and poked her cheek, she jumped and he jumped. Then he saw me, and said in broken English, “I thought she was a doll.” He was from West Java and knew quite a few English words so we had a good laugh about that. Sophie said later, “Mom, it was so weird. He poked my cheek.”
Funny times in Sentani.
Love Rachel.

No comments: