Thursday, November 15, 2007

November 16, 2007 - Apples

Well, we woke up this morning to the “beautiful” sight (I am totally exaggerating) of our cat with a rat. Garth was a lot more excited about it than I was. He was saying “Good, one less rat around here.” The pembantu’s took it and threw it over the edge down into the ravine so I wouldn’t have to see it. Don’t worry-we don’t have a bunch of rats running around. In fact, there has only been two. But it does explain the ruckus I heard from the cat at 3:30 this morning.
We had a tremendous storm last night with very high winds. There wasn’t thunder and lightning, but it was very loud. The wind and rain kept Wyatt and I up off and on during the night. The weather was quite a bit cooler and that sure was a relief.
Wyatt did a great job in his skit this morning. Cale is still sleeping (9:00 a.m.) so Garth and I just were able to walk up to the school to watch the skit without interruptions. Sophie took me outside yesterday and showed me where she sniffed out the new land. “Right here, Mom. This is a good spot. But if I sniffed it over there it would have been stinky.” I washed Emma’s hair last night and then rolled it in pin curls and secured them with bobby pins, so this morning she has curls. It is funny how excited you can get over a few curls. She is loving it. We have been having fun with our kids playing “Go Fish”-the game that Sophie renamed “Gut A Fish”. She wants to make everything ordinary, extraordinary, to make life more interesting. I took her to the clinic to have her ears checked, and they looked good. She has some swollen glands so we got some ear drops and a decongestion and hopefully that will take care of it all.
Our Indonesian tutor was working on teaching us some prayers yesterday, and that was great. I love learning stuff like that. We also had to work on numbers-he would say 150.000 really fast in Indonesian and we would have to figure out what the number was. I do not enjoy that, but Garth sure does. He is really good at it. Cale is getting a little more used to people picking him up and touching him when we are out. He still looks at me with the “Please rescue me” look, and I don’t blame him. Our nice grocery store, Hypermarket, is really coming along. They have a dairy section now!!!!! All the other stores will have one stand up cooler with cold drinks in it and maybe a few things more, but no dairy. Hypermarket now has cream cheese, pudding, lettuce, green peppers, and even Yoplait yogurt. Only mango flavor, but still!!! I am so excited. The other day we went and I bought some apples. I put them in the bag and gave them to a worker to weigh and price. She gave them back and I kept shopping. Awhile later she ran over to my cart and said something to me in Indonesian , took the apples and walked away. She reweighed them and put a new price on it. So I kept shopping, and then one more time she came over and said something to me, and took the apples. This time she didn’t give them back. So we asked a friend of ours that was there that speaks Indonesian and English, and she said that the store was going to get a shipment of apples in that day and wanted me to have the ones that were fresh. So they kept the apples that were a few days old. How’s that for customer service?
Garth agreed to help out with a PE class two times a week with a guy named Scott. It is 3rd and 4th grades. So he teaches Mondays and Thursdays for 45 minutes. His first class he had them play baseball, of course! No one plays baseball here. But the kids loved it. I think Garth and Wyatt play baseball in their sleep. You guys are all sleeping so you will get this when you wake up.
Love you-
Rachel

No comments: