Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tuesday in Jakarta

Hello. Let’s try this again. We are apparently having internet problems. I already typed this up once and sent it but it did not go through, so here I am typing it again. We left Sentani on Monday morning at 8 am and landed here at 3 pm Jakarta time. Getting medical help is not easy here in Indonesia. In order to see decent doctors we had to fly all the way over to the other side of the country, find someone to stay at the hostel and someone to help out watching our kids. The flight was interesting. I saw one of the stewardesses walking to the front of the plane with a green bag that said Tool Shop kit, and men were spitting on the floor of the airport. Lovely! When we got to the airport in Jakarta, we flagged down a taxi cab. The driver yelled, “Hurry! Hurry!” and then pulled away while Garth was still getting in the cab. He said if we get stopped to say that he was our private driver already ordered. I asked him if he was supposed to be driving us and he said, “We’ll see!” Thankfully, nothing happened. He asked us where we were from, and we said Wisconsin. He replied, “Oh, I know Wisconsin. That is by Texas, oil country.” After getting lost we arrived at the home of the Indonesian family that we are staying with. Their home is by far the most beautiful home I have ever seen. What a blessing that they are letting us stay. We dropped off our stuff and then headed to the hospital. I wrote to you yesterday about all of that hoopla. We have decided not to do surgery to repair my prolapsed bladder. We may have to do it in the future but not here, and not now. Thanks for praying for wisdom in that decision. We were able to talk to some Medical professionals in Wisconsin last night and unanimously came to that decision.
This morning we arrived at the hospital for a test at 8 and to have an appointment with our main doctor. We were told he would not be in until 2. During that time we met with the same ob/gyn that I talked to yesterday. He said that I do have a bladder and cervical infection that he wants to treat with antibiotics along with some medicine for my kidney stone. Shortly after that we met with a urologist that said that yes, I do have a bladder and cervical infection, but I do NOT have a kidney stone. He also said that I have some abnormal cells growing where I should not have abnormal cells. He is doing a culture on them that will be ready on Friday. If it shows something questionable, he wants to do a biopsy. Since we are leaving Wednesday night, that may pose a problem. Ha ha! We will talk about that tonight when we go back to the hospital. The urologist also said that my infections are because I flush the toilet while I am still sitting on it, or from peeing standing up. (Neither things I do.) He also said that if I drink more water and jump around and exercise more that I will get less infections. Are you shaking your head or laughing? Go ahead. Laugh. It is sooooooo funny if you want it to be. Medical care here is just so different. The doctors do not agree. That is making things frustrating, but what can you do? I have had three people ask to go back with me to Papua or America and if I could help them get a visa and a job. One lady wanted me to teach her English, and other ladies wanting to shake my hands while we were in the bathroom together.
In spite of all this craziness, I am having a nice time with Garth. This is our first “date” in about a year. I know, it is not really a date, but if you stretch your imagination, you can pretend that it is. We need to leave in a few minutes to go back to the doctor. We went at 2 like they said, and were told that now he won’t be in until 4. I will try to send out another email tonight if we find out anything different. I know this is long and I often ramble, but I wanted you to feel like you are on this journey with me, because I feel like you are.
Today if you have time, drink some water and jump around. You wouldn’t want to end up in my condition! Ha ha hahaaaaa!
Love you all-
Rachel

No comments: