Thursday, May 7, 2009

Road Closed

We had a bit of excitement here yesterday. The main road between Sentani and the next biggest city, Abeh, was closed on Wednesday. We only have one road from here to there, so it was a big deal. Apparently one of the Chiefs sons of a nearby village was killed and they wanted to seek retribution the only way they know how, violence. So due to safety reasons the road was closed down. One of our Sentani families were stuck there in Abeh and were not allowed to go through. Their three kids were here at school. The parents were told that they may be able to leave their car and take a boat around to Sentani, but that would be the only way they could get here. Some other kids that live in Abeh and go to school here in Sentani wound up staying at our hostel for the night since they couldn’t get through. Today I heard that they road is open and all is fine so hopefully that is the end of that whole ordeal. This is a great place to learn flexibility. You get many opportunities daily to learn that character trait!
I don’t know about you but I am excited that the semester is coming to a close. There are only 13 ½ days of school left. The kids are out on May 28th. I know that time will just fly until then. Saturday Garth and I are hosting a Roller Derby Party for the kids up to grade 6. I have been having fun picking out songs and activities for that event. There really aren’t too many happenings for kids that age so they are all excited. The gym has lots of roller skates for the kids to borrow, and someone donated a bag of knee pads and elbow guards. I am sure I will send you pictures so you can feel like you were there.
It is so hot today. Even the Indonesians have been commenting on that. When they say it, you know it is true. Poppi didn’t show up yesterday, but today she did. She informed me that she will be here Friday but not Saturday. See what I told you about opportunities for flexibility??????
Anyways, I need to go. Hope you are all well.
Love you
Rachel

No comments: