Monday, October 8, 2007

October 7, 2007 - Learning the Culture

We are learning so much about the culture here. I know that I told you this is Ramadan, the month of fasting during sunup. The Muslims are not allowed to even swallow their own spit. And if a woman is pregnant or nursing she is allowed to skip this time but has to make it up double once she is done with her “condition.” They believe that if they have perfect fasting they will have perfect forgiveness from their sins. What strict expectations to put upon themselves! Who can be perfect? No one. That is why God gave us the free gift of salvation based on believing in Him and not on what we can do, or living the perfect life. How difficult to be in the bondage of the Muslim beliefs, yet how freeing to be in a relationship with God!!! These people need to hear about Jesus’ love for them exactly as they are, whether they swallow their spit or not. I am glad we are a part of this ministry. There is a group of men from our church that travelled to 7 villages in 7 days to educate the Indonesians about bird flu – how they can prevent the spread of that awful disease. Another man in the church that is a pilot asked us all to save water bottles for the Indonesian men and women that work in the fields. They have no way of taking water out with them when they work out there all day every day in the hot sun. He said that he will fly the water bottles into the villages when he gets enough. These are little ways that our Christian community is trying to make a difference. The High Schoolers in the school here have something called Outdoor Education every year. They usually fly somewhere or get on a boat and travel to a place that needs help. Last year, there was a big flood in the area and many bridges were wiped out and homes ruined and business destroyed. So the kids all stayed here and helped to rebuild the town. They offered service to anyone that needed it, and food and fresh water etc. That has given us an amazing connection to the people and was a tangible way for the Indonesians to see that we care about them because God cares about them. The kids learned to work together and to care about others more than themselves. What a great chance for growth.
I had a very enjoyable conversation with a man from Papua New Guinea named Julius on Friday night at the volleyball game. He knew English so we were able to speak to each other. Julius shared with me his story about how he heard about Jesus and became a part of His family. He won a scholarship to come to America and go to a college, Christ For the Nations, in Texas. Now he is back in Indonesia to tell his family and his people about God’s love. What an exciting story! On the funny side, he told me about how some friends from college took him to Six Flags Great America to ride the roller coasters. He said that he thought he was going to die on Batman. He screamed the whole time “I’m done. I’m done!!” When it was all over, he liked it. I asked him if he would ever go again, and he said no.
I took Sophie and Emma to one of the new stores by Hypermarket that has clothes in it. They had so much fun running around yelling, “Mom, look at this, Mom come here and see this.” Such excitement to be able to shop. I let them each buy a new dress and hair ribbon. Going to church today was quite the production-showing everyone their new dresses. They keep saying, “Mom we HAVE to go back to that store. “
I made dinner today for everyone-Chicken stir–fry. Actually it was a joint effort. Wyatt helped cut up the veggies, Garth did the massive pile of dishes. I tried to make Jell-o using the Indonesian jell-o but it didn’t work. But we did have sticky rice and a chocolate pudding dessert. YEAH! I was so happy to find one store an hour away that you can call and order ahead boneless chicken breasts. That will be a nice treat every once in awhile.
Sophie is excited to show everyone how she can now count to ten in Indonesian. Wyatt is learning whole phrases. Emma is learning about names of body parts. Ibu Poppi is helping me a great deal. She feels free to correct me when I say something wrong. The other day I wrote her a note using my broken Indonesian words asking her if she could please cut up some fruit for one of the girls in our dorm. She called me over and crossed out my words and showed me the right way to write it. She is helping me learn colors and names of foods. I told you she is scared to death of the escalator at the new Hypermarket, well, the other day she agreed to go. She got as far as the escalator, stood and looked at it, and left. She couldn’t do it. She is so funny about it. In her mind it just doesn’t make sense why anyone would make such a thing.
One of the dorm kids, Josh, just got back from Australia and brought Wyatt a handmade boomerang, so he is going out to the field to try it out. So I should go.
At the moment we do have internet in the dorm so I should be able to send out regular e-mails again. And check e-mails. Praise the Lord!
Love you all,
Rachel

No comments: