Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 22, 2007 - Bitter Water

At 6:44 am this morning I was laying in bed sound asleep, dreaming of being back on the beach, laying in the sun, relaxing…At 6:45 I wake up to this (from Wyatt as he burst into my room), “Mom, quick-there’s a big bug!!!!”
That is definitely not my favorite thing to hear my kids yell, but it does get me out of bed quick. I would show you what the gross centipede looked like but I destroyed it. Interesting that they always call me to come get the bugs…
Sophie said to me today on our bike ride, “Daddy and God are the biggest people in the whole world.” I am so glad she adores her Daddy so-even if he is not the bug killer! Garth took us on a great ride around a different part of Lake Sentani. We saw an eagle that someone has as a pet, and some quaint little villages with fishing huts over the water and then we stopped at an old suspension bridge. I was a little freaked as we made our way over it since there were many boards missing in places and it was swaying a bit as we walked. I said to Garth, “This bridge is definitely not up to code.” But that phrase goes for just about everything here in Indonesia. Then Cale decides to jump over the boards which of course makes it sway a lot more. He of course thought that made it more fun.
In prayer time tonight, Sophie said, “Lord, I thank you for my family here and my real family back in the country with Timber-help them not to miss me too much.” Interesting that she does not consider us her real family.
I have been thinking lately about the things here that are hard for me, the things that I don’t like and could get a bad attitude about. And a story from the Bible about Moses when he lead the people to water because they were thirsty and the water was bitter came to mind. God told Moses to cut a tree and put it in the water and it would be sweet –and it worked. A book I am reading talked about this and said write down all of your frustrations-those are like your bitter water. Well, Jesus died on a tree, the tree that can make my bitter water sweet. He is the only one that can do that. So today I walked around and told myself not to complain-honestly I said in my head over and over, “Don’t complain.” And I saw more beauty as we rode around-beauty that I usually overlook. The people, the flowers, the city of Sentani…In Psalms 103 David writes, “Praise the Lord, I tell myself…” Sometimes I naturally feel like praising, and other times I have to tell myself to do it. But I always feel better and get a different perspective on things if I am willing to praise God for what I want to complain about.
Speaking of perspective, I asked Wyatt what was different about the people here compared to the people in Wisconsin. He said, “The people are the same.” I guess he sees them different than me.
My Aunt and Uncle and cousin are officially in Indonesia. They emailed us that they landed safely. In about a week we will get to see them. I am so excited. Family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That will be a happy day.
I miss you all-wish you came here with them-what a fun reunion that would be. There is so much I would show you…
Love,
Rachel

No comments: