Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 23, 2007 - Burning Leaves

Garth decided to take his bike in for its regular check up so while we were waiting I went into the Christian bookstore nearby. Everything is in Indonesian but I recognize some of the books and love to look at the Indonesian Bibles. There was a lady in there that was talking to us and pointing to Cale. Garth and I were trying to pick out words that we recognized. She said pantai (which Garth remembered was the beach)…lihat (look, see) laki, laki (boy) tidur (sleep) box (she was referring to the playpen). So we understood that she had seen us at the beach and remembered Cale sleeping in the playpen. They don’t have anything like playpens for the kids here so there were Indonesians looking at it at the beach trying to figure it out. She was all excited that we were there in her store and we understood what she said.
Speaking of stores, the other day when I took the girls shopping I was looking at the T-shirts here. They are hilarious. The companies will put random English words on a shirt that make absolutely no sense, but they might be the only English words that they know. I bought a Coca-Cola shirt for the girls with a jug of milk on it and the words “Taste fresh milk.” On our way home from the store Emma saw a girl walking on the side of the road and she said, “Mom, everything that girl has on was in that store we were just in. I saw that shirt and skirt and pants.” She has always been so observant when it comes to fashion.
Coming back from the store this morning on the motorcycle, I accidentally dropped a coin right by our security gate. We kept on going however because it would have meant turning around, going over a big bump, through the gate and down the hill to get it. Then about 4 hours later, when we went back out, the security guard came running and handed me the coin I had dropped. The coin was about the equivalent of 5 U.S. cents.
There is a lady that owns or just works at a store we go to called Aneka Mas. She must have some idea in her head that Americans eat a lot of sandwiches because when I check out she is always telling me they have mayonnaise, or ham, mustard or whatever else she thinks we might put on bread. The other day she sent some workers to go get me two more jars of Mayo because she thought I needed more. She sent them to look for mustard too but they couldn’t find any. She was yelling at them when they came back empty handed. I think it is funny-I didn’t ask for these things-she thinks I need them though. “ Americans eat sandwiches.”
We haven’t been able to even get to the blog sight to post the emails or pictures. We are determined little Indonesians though so we will keep trying. Roy, let me know if you get this email. It keeps coming back to me as an invalid address, but I checked it in my contact book and it is the correct address so…Let me know.
I have heard that there are wisps of fall in the air. Today on the motorcycle we went through smoke from someone’s burn pile-which is not unusual-someone is always burning something, but it is usually trash so it smells bad. Today, it was grass and other brush so it reminded me of home. I closed my eyes and imagined that I was in my parents yard raking leaves and burning them-the smell was the same. Tears just started pouring out of my eyes from such a happy thought. For about 30 seconds I was back in Wisconsin. That was a God sent blessing-and I am thankful for it. It is such a treasure to have little pieces of home. Thank you God.
Well, I need to go put Wyatt to bed. He is laying here listening to a song about sowing good seeds and should already be asleep.
Love to all,Rachel

No comments: