Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 18, 2007 - Makeovers

Sophie had her friend Maya over after school today and they wanted to do makeovers. So I set up a salon and did their nails, makeup, hair, perfume etc. Then we walked up to the library to show Mrs. Lee. The girls were struttin’ their stuff. When we got back, they decided that it was my turn. Boy, did I look pretty. I had makeup on every place available on my face and neck, and just about all of the clippies, and ribbons and ponytailers. They wanted to take me back up to the library to show Mrs. Lee, but I distracted them with brownies. Somehow it isn’t the same showing me off as it is showing them off. However, the high schoolers in there for study hall would have gotten a great laugh. So, today I have been thinking about makeovers. I love seeing them on TV or the before and after pictures in magazines. I think the media tries to make the person look their absolute worst before so they look their absolute best after. (A little misleading). They want you to think that they were plain before and now they are extraordinary. As Christians we don’t need a makeover to feel extraordinary-we are extraordinary because we have Jesus living inside of us. That makes us special. That makes us better than plain-even when we don’t feel special, because it is not based on feelings. It is a relationship that we have with Jesus. Just like if there is a day one of my kids might be upset at me and not feel like being a part of the family-they still are because it is a relationship-they belong to the family, and always will. That is encouraging and reassuring. So smile and be encouraged today! J
Tonight during our family time we prayed. Here is a sample of the kids prayers: Wyatt: “Help my friend Caleb to get the rats out of his house and my friend Sophie to get the snake out of her house, and my friend Jonah as they are getting ready for furlough and my friend, Micah as they are trying to get all of their papers together so they can get their visas…” Emma: “Help Song Men and Sungsu to get over their colds, and I pray for Carlena, and thank you for my teacher…” Sophie: “Please help our cat to have fun mating…” She never fails to surprise me!
We haven’t been able to get online today so we asked one of the computer geniuses here to come look at it and he said that the tower is down, so I figured that I would not be able to email for awhile. But I thought I would try one more time before bed and NOW I AM ON! I have no idea how this is working except maybe by prayers-but I sure am happy it is. Thanks God!
Today we wanted to go to a new store that we have never been to before and see if we could get pictures printed off of our flashdrive. I was praying that there would be an English speaking person there to help us. Sure enough. Simon was there and more than willing to help us communicate. Isn’t God good? He even cares about pictures!!!! During our dorm devotions last night Garth asked us all what we like most about God. Here are some of the answers: His forgiveness, His understanding, that He died for me, that His love for me is not based on my behavior, warm waves and morning sunlight, His faithfulness…
Garth had an interesting experience last night. There was a girl trying to talk to him on SKYPE and she said that she was trying to find her soulmate and thought he might be the one for her. Garth said definitely not and when she asked how he knew he shared that his wife loves him a lot and he loves his wife. Garth suggesting that she might try going to church as a better place to find a mate instead of SKYPE and had an interesting conversation trying to lead her to church and God. It turns out that she is from Ghana. Isn’t it awesome the opportunities God brings along?
Pray that as a family we will know God’s plan for us- If we should stay for another year or not. Thanks!
Goodnight to everyone in my time zone, and Good Morning to everyone that is not-
Rachel

No comments: