Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 21, 2007 - Drip, Drip

Cale and I got squeeze me out soaking wet today during the storm. Garth had just gotten to the computer lab with Wyatt and Emma to check on emails when I heard the storm start. The force of the storms here are unlike storms in Wisconsin! Believe me! I wish you could hear how loud they are. And the rain doesn’t just drop down from the sky, it seems to come from the top , the left, the right, and sometimes up from the ground. Sophie was napping, and I thought about Garth walking back in the rain with the laptop, so I decided that when it let up a little Cale and I would run over with Garth’s backpack. That way the computer would be protected from the water. So we waited about 15 minutes and then walked over while it was just drizzling. A few steps into our walk back the storm changed. What a downpour we had. Cale kept saying “Wet.” He wasn’t crying, but I could tell he was getting cold. Good thing we don’t live that far from the computer lab. It looked like we took a shower with our clothes on. We put a chair out on our porch and snuggled in a towel while we watched the rest of the storm. What a sweet time. Ironically, by the time Garth finished and came home, the rain had stopped. Ha Ha! Oh well.
Speaking of rain-today in church we had an Indonesian group lead our worship. One of the songs they were singing was about storms. Many Indonesians here have had homes and businesses wiped out by floods and tsumanis and storms, and yet they were standing there with arms open wide to the heavens singing with all their heart to a God they love, “When the oceans rise, and thunders roar, I will soar with You above the storm. Father ,You are King over the flood, I will be still and know You are God. Find rest my soul in Christ alone, Know His power, in quietness and trust.” You really have to trust in the power of Christ when your house is floating down the street…My life is SO good, I have SO much-I hope that I always appreciate God’s goodness to me.
I am doing a little better cooking here. Today I made Chicken Cacciatore (Indonesian style because there are ingredients we can’t get) and dumplings just like my Momma taught me. We always make them with farina and there is none to be found here so I bought something in a little package that looked kind of like farina but it said it was vanilla flavored so I was afraid that they would taste sweet. But Garth tried some and said to me, (with mouth full of dumplings) “Honey, these taste just like the ones you make back home.” Yeah! I even tried a Italian green bean salad that I found in my Taste of Home magazine I brought with, and a batch of homemade bread. That was Sunday lunch along with brownies for dessert and a coffeecake for breakfast. That is a good feeling. I was getting frustrated that nothing seemed to turn out here the way it would back home. The oven here cooks things different every time, so the end result is always a surprise. I do like surprises, but not exactly like that…
Emma said to me today that when she gets big and has a little girl the first thing she is going to do is tell her about Jesus so that she will be a Christian.
I am going to join Garth down in the gym and watch the end of High School soccer before bed.
Love to all,
Rachel

No comments: