Sunday, May 1, 2011

Stinkin’ Coconut

I need to tell  you about something that happened today.  As a Hostel we went to Black Sands beach in Jayapura.  A few hours after we arrived Wyatt and his friend Creston were walking along the beach when a coconut fell from the tree and landed on the top of Wyatt’s head.  He passed out and fell to the ground.  He was only out for a few seconds.  I called a nurse who told me some things to look for.  He had a bit of trouble with the vision in his left eye, some dizziness, and nausea-but no forgetfulness, so that is good.  He has to lay low for awhile and we have to watch him.  There is no way here to do an MRI.  If his symptoms change we will have to take him to Bali or Singapore.  Pray for him.  He got really scared when his vision was messed up. I kept reminding him that this is a great opportunity to lean on God’s strong arms instead of allowing fear to grip you.  But it can still be a scary thing to go through.  When my parents and sister were visiting here three years ago a coconut fell out of the tree and nailed my Mom in the shoulder blade.  They are quite dangerous.  We are blessed that there wasn’t worse damage in both situations!

Weather-wise, it was an absolutely beautiful day and Wyatt was able to lay in the hammock while we enjoyed the sun.  The clouds were amazing!!!  Here are some pictures:

clip_image001clip_image002clip_image003clip_image004clip_image005clip_image006clip_image007

I want to make sure I say Happy Birthday to my fantastic brother-in-law, Donald and a big congratulations to my cousin Randy who got married today to a girl with a wonderful name-Rachel.  Can’t wait to meet her.  I have such a great family!!!!!

Love you all

Rachel

1 comment:

Sarah DeSalvo said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry about Wyatt's little mishap! I think that is one of the hardest things about living here in Papua - not really having good medical care nearby. Something like that can really be hard on a parent!!! I will be praying for him, and you as well!
-Sarah in Wamena