Sunday, January 31, 2010

Minestrone Soup

I wanted to give you the minestrone recipe that I made last week.  It is so super yummy and would be a perfect meal for a cold winter night or a rainy day.

MINESTRONE SOUP
2 cans (one 28 oz, and one 14 ½ oz) diced tomatoes, undrained  - I did not buy cans the right size.  I had three cans of Mexican or Italian tomatoes and I used those.  I pureed them in the blender so they weren’t in chunks

2 cups water

2 medium carrots, sliced

1 medium onion, chopped

1 medium zucchini, chopped – We do not have zucchini here so I did not add that

1 pkg. (3 ½ oz) pepperoni  - did not have that either

2 tsp. garlic

2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules

½ tsp. dried basil

½ tsp. oregano

2 cans (16 oz. each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry – I used fresh stuff I found at the pasar (market)

1 ¼ cups cooked elbow macaroni  - I did not measure, I put in a small  box

Shredded parmesan cheese – We don’t have that here

You can put the first 10 ingredients in crock pot.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or so.

I do not have a crock pot so I simmered it on the stove for about 45 minutes or so.  One time I added some ground beef but it would be so super duper yummy with ground up Italian sausage or little chunks of sausage.

I made garlic bread sticks to go with it and it was wonderful.

2 comments:

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

That sounds delicious! It's freezing here in Georgia!

Maureen said...

Sounds delicous for sure, will be perfect for rainy day dinner in Jakarta :)