Friday, January 1, 2010

The Trip

I am telling you-that was a long trip!  But now I am home and trying to get back into the current time zone.  This is how it started: My family took us to the airport on Sunday for a noon flight.  Goodbye’s are awful and I will not even tell you how hard it is for me to say goodbye to my family, but I did (again).  The first five minutes of the flight I dropped my yogurt and Cale knocked over our water and it spilled all over his pants.  The flight to Hong Kong was 7779 miles and took 15 hours and 2 minutes.  Then we had a 2 hour flight to Singapore, an 8 hour layover in the Airport there, and then a flight over to Jakarta.  We got to Jakarta at 9 am and had a layover there until 11:30 pm.  Thankfully we were able to take the shuttle to a hotel and sleep.  We slept from 11 in the morning until 10 at night.  Praise the Lord I was charging up my cell phone and Garth was able to get through, because I had looked at the tickets and thought our flight out was at 12:30 but it was at 11:30.  Garth reminded me of that when he called (yahoo).  We had a situation where my luggage was supposed to be checked all the way through to Jayapura but it wasn’t.  So I had to get it in Jakarta and there was a chance I would have to pay a large fee for it there, but thankfully, they said I didn’t.  We left Jakarta at Midnight on Tuesday, flew 1 ½ hours to Bali, then 3 hours to Timika and 1 hour to Jayapura, and landed there at 9 am (their time) on Wednesday.  Garth figured the whole trip was around 58 hours.  Crazy, huh?

The first night back Cale was up at 2 :30 am hungry and wanting breakfast.  The second night he did a little better (5 am), so hopefully tonight will be wonderful!  There is a lot going on here with the pondok natals (those music huts that blast music all day and most of the night), and Christmas fireworks also going off all day and night, and Cale and I trying to adjust to being 15 hours ahead of the time zone we were in…so I am feeling a bit muddle-headed.

I know a lot of you prayed us through this whole trip, and for that I am beyond thankful.

You are wonderful!

Rachel

No comments: