Sunday, January 10, 2010

Little Blessings

I have been thinking a lot about an article I read in the November issue of Woman’s Day.  The article was called Little Blessings.  The author, (a busy Mom of four children,) took everyday annoyances and showed us a different way of looking at them. 

For instance: 

Being thankful for the eternal mess the kids leave the house in stating that having a child is the quickest cure for perfectionism there is; being thankful for the 10 minutes it takes a child to put on their shoes because it forces us to stop and smell the graham crackers; being thankful for the 3 AM wakeups because it is good to feel needed; and being thankful for the empty bankbook because the money has grown into four amazing people and that is a pretty good investment.

I have mentioned before my mindset of doing the opposite.  The opposite of what you feel like doing.  When my daughter spills her drink all over the table (again) and I look at her and see her eyes welling up with tears over her offense-inside I want to holler at her foolishness-but the opposite would be to respond in a loving hug and help her clean it up.  I think that idea is what the Author was writing about.  If all of these annoyances just annoy me then I am missing out-and I am allowing myself to get in the habit of reacting negatively when someone does something wrong.

I read a quote that stated that : “Patience gives the other person permission to be human.  It understands that everyone fails.”

I feel like the thing I ask God for the most often is patience.  I am so far from where I want to be in that area and I realize that He gives me many opportunities throughout my days to work on it.  One way to do that is to find ways to see the annoyances as blessings.

Love you Rachel

No comments: