Sunday, January 10, 2010

Are your feet up?

You know, sometimes I am not the most patient person. I have noticed that the worst of it often creeps up at bedtime. I expect everyone to quickly do what needs to be done and then happily climb into bed and immediately fall asleep. I don’t like anything that sounds like, “Mom, can I get some water,” or “Mom, I forgot to go potty,” and especially anything that sounds like, “But I don’t want to go to bed…” I think the Grinch lies in wait and then jumps out of me in moments like that. Ugh! It is absolutely awful and I do not like it. I am working on having self-control in areas like this.

Cale has this thing he does when I come over to his bed to put him to sleep. He will ask me, “Do you have your feet up?” He is asking that because he wants me to lay on his bed with my feet up. He knows that I stay in there longer with him when I have my feet up. However, there are nights when it is late and I think he needs to be asleep or I need to put the girls to bed and can’t spend much time with him. Those nights I just kneel by the bed and pray and kiss him and go. But the nights that I can lay and put my feet up and talk and snuggle with him are nights that he treasures.

It is that way with God. How often do we rush through our time with him because we have so many other things to do? I am sure that we miss out on so much by being rushed. God treasures the moments that we decide to ‘put our feet up’ and soak up His presence without thinking of all the other things we need to do and without being in a rush.

When was the last time you did that?

Rachel

No comments: