Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bad day

Ever had a bad day? I mean a really, BAD day? I have had multitudes of them. But none as bad as this dude from the Bible-Jeremiah. I was reading about him last night in Jeremiah 20:14. Listen to what he says: “Cursed be the day I was born! May the day my Mother bore me not be blessed! Cursed be the man who brought my father the news, who made him very glad by saying, “A child is born to you-a son!” May that man be like the towns the Lord overthrew without pity. May he hear wailing in the morning, a battle cry at noon. For he did not kill me in the womb, with my Mother as my grave, her womb enlarged forever. Why did I ever come out of the womb to see trouble and sorrow and to end my days in shame?”
Doesn’t that sound like he is in the depths of despair? (Ha ha-anyone remember that from Princess Bride?) Yet the verse right before says, “Sing to the Lord! Give praise to the Lord! He rescues the life of the needy from the hands of the wicked.” Ugh! We can be so wishy- washy sometimes. The world can look so grim and dark one day and then things turn up, the sun comes out and things are ok again.
I have been telling myself lately to wake up happy. Even when I have a crappy night sleep, the mosque call to prayer is loud outside my window, the cat is meowing right by my head, and Cale is hungry and wants breakfast. Because I realize, more now than before, that I have a choice. Every new day is an opportunity for me to participate, to be alive-or to make excuses and be full of regrets. I don’t want to keep waiting to be the person I want to be-I want to make it happen.
Since we are talking about Princess Bride-remember this part? “Do you have the wing?” or how about this, “No more rhymes now I mean it? Anybody got a peanut?” My sister Carlena and I and Kerrie used to quote that movie. Ha ha-good times.
Good times and great moments don’t have to be these colossal, extravagant, expensive events. Joys come from the little things that you are part of-completely in the moment. Don’t wait for other people to change-change yourself. Don’t wait for other people to make things right with you-you make the first move. Don’t look for ways to get people to praise you-find ways to praise them. Don’t make excuses, just don’t. All that brings is regrets.
One more Princess Bride line and then I must go-“ Any one for a nice BMT sandwich, you know when the mutton is nice and perky…oooh, I love that?”
Gotta go.
Love you-Rachel

No comments: