Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Storms and Sunshine

Well, I was entirely wrong in saying that it looks like we are nearing the end of our rainy season. I told you all that on Sunday and then Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and Thursday we had these crazy rain storms, I mean torrential rain falls, flooding, and blustery winds…how funny. Like the weather decided to prove me wrong. But today, the sun was out and the breeze was blowing, the air smelled like sunshine-it was beautiful! I was thinking about all of that, of course, and it is such a great representation of my week. You all know, Monday Cale fell down and Tuesday we took him in for x-rays. The verdict now is that he has a green stick fracture in his collarbone and the bone is bent. So he has it bandaged up and has to wear it in a sling for a few weeks. Also on Tuesday, we caught one of our pembantus stealing money from one of the dorm kids. She was in his room, in his drawer and unzipped one of his bags looking for money. So Wednesday we sat down with her and told her she was fired. Now her Mom is our main cook, Poppi, so we didn’t know how this would affect our relationship with Poppi. Thursday, Poppi didn’t show up. She didn’t come in. So thankfully Garth helped me in the kitchen get lunch out. Then Emma came home at lunchtime with a fever of 102.7. All of this going on was like the storms outside. I was starting to get really frustrated. Cale just would not slow down like he is supposed to until his arm is healed, Emma was sick, I didn’t know if we were going to get Poppi back and I didn’t want to be stuck in the kitchen cooking every day…storm, storm, storm. But then, I had to stop, chill and take a breath. I needed to realize that I don’t have the strength to get through any day by myself whether it is a good day or a bad day-I need God. Psalms 25:4-5 says “Show me Your ways, O Lord. Teach me Your paths. Guide me in Your truth and teach me. For you are God, My Savior, And my hope is in You all day long.” You know the verse says twice to teach me. Sometimes we don’t learn things the first time and we need to be taught and taught some more.
Today I woke up to a gorgeous sun shining day. It was perfect. Poppi came in and brought a friend of hers that she wants to try and train in the kitchen to help us out. So I told her we would give her a one month trial to see how she does. Cale still isn’t always remembering to slow down, but he is trying and Emma’s fever is down a bit. But even if nothing was changed from yesterday, I still have hope. “My hope is in You all day long.”
But isn’t God good to give us days of rain and days of sun? Days of snow and days of spring?
Love you all-
Rachel

1 comment:

jo said...

Bless you sweet friend!!!! Good words to remember that without Him we are hopeless!!!!