Sunday, March 29, 2009

5.9

Have I told you about my new favorite sandwich? A piece of toast with ranch dressing, homemade salsa (or tomato, onion, green onion and a bit of garlic), cheese, avocado, and a fried egg. YUMMY-O! How does that sound? You should try it. I know the economy is bad there and we are feeling it here too. I have been learning ways to cut corners. By making a lot of things homemade it is really helping. Salsa, dressings, granola, sauces, powdered milk, bread, noodles, etc. This week I am going to try homemade mayonnaise. There is no mayo here, hasn’t been for many months. We will see how that turns out.
We had a really nice earthquake last night. Did you hear about it? It was a 5.9 and it really shook our bed. Garth and I both woke up to it at about 3 am. The kids slept right through it. But Emma did say in the morning that it felt like someone was sliding her head off the pillow. We also had an awesome lightning storm and the rollingest thunder ever. It just kept going and going.
I am sure you had a crazy week. We did too. Ibu Poppi did not come in on Wednesday or Thursday and no pembantus came in on Saturday. I was trying to get ready for an overnight with the High School girls. That was on Friday to Saturday-I was the speaker so of course we talked about boys, and dating and marriage and ate yummy food and watched Fireproof. Have you seen it? It was great movie of hope and not giving up no matter how hard your marriage seems to be.
Garth did really FINE with the kids while I was gone. I did notice that Cale was in the same clothes on Saturday that I put him in Friday morning, he had a few scrapes, and Emma told me that Daddy almost made her cry. I asked her what happened and she told me that at the dinner table Garth said, “Hey, this is what it would be like if Mommy was dead.” He is such a …what is the right word????? If Brenda, his sister was with me here she would give me about 20 words I could insert into that sentence. He is such a character, isn’t he? I love that boy!
Today we took our hostel and the other hostel to the pool. That was real fun! Garth always has game ideas for everyone-Sharks and Minnows, and Jump or dive. The kids love it! Pretty soon it will be hot and sunny by you and you can jump into some bright blue water and cool off. Doesn’t that sound fantastic?
Love you all-
Rachel

1 comment:

jo said...

I'm laughing so hard about Garth's comment. I'm glad the kids get him. That could be easily misunderstood. We have some kids who "get" their daddy too. Nice.

Your sandwich idea has me salivating. Here's one for you - a thin slice of cantaloupe and a slice of salty meat like proschuitto or a ham type meat, lettuce, onion melted cheese. Yummy.