Thursday, March 5, 2009

Birthday Fun!!

I had a wonderful day yesterday. Yes, it was my birthday. I was showered with birthday wishes-thank you to all. In the morning Garth took Cale and I to the river. It was beautiful. With all the rain we have had lately, the river was full of waterfalls that were so stunning to see. Then Emma and Sophie made me a cake and decorated it with Garth. We had a nice family party and then I had another surprise party with another cake and crazy hats and all the dorm kids decorated and we played a silly game. Fun, fun, fun! I must say that I definitely do not feel 35, but I guess the calendar does not lie. Anyways, I feel very blessed to be so loved. I wish I could have spent it with all of you , but I am thankful for the treasures of memories I have from a special birthday here. Thanks.
Life is back to normal today. Garth woke up not feeling so well. He is getting a cold. For him when he feels it coming, he can get a bunch of sleep and then prevent it from fully attacking. That doesn’t work for me, but for him it often does. So Cale and I took a long walk down to the store to buy some flour and then took an ojek up (motorcycle taxi.) I forgot that I was wearing a skirt so I had to ride sidesaddle with Cale on my lap. Now that is the true Indonesian way. I fit right in when I ride like that.
An update on the kids-Cale just lost his fingernail from getting it slammed in the door and now his toenail is about to fall off from the same thing. That kid is tough. He is such a boy. He falls down and gets right up. He loves smashing bugs and getting dirty. Anything he can climb up on and jump off of is great fun. My Emma Bay has the sweetest heart. She loves to take care of Cale and bandage up everyone’s scrapes. A long time ago when we were out I mentioned a purse that I liked and she remembered it and got it for my birthday. She is having a hard time in school, though staying focused. She is so easily distracted and needs reminders to stay on task. Wyatt loves soccer, and shooting his bow and arrow or shooting his bee bee guns. He is getting quite good at hitting his target. He did mess up his wrist yesterday and it is quite swollen and painful. So I will have it looked at today to see what is wrong. Sophie is reading through her chapter books like they are one-liners. That girl loves to read and is very focused and organized. She loves school and learning. When she goes to the library she gets the information books like The Statue of Liberty and the Civil War. She says when she grows up she wants to be a scientist.
Thanks again for all the birthday wishes sent my way. Now that I am older, I should try to act wiser. I guess that means no more sliding down the slide or playing in the rain. Well, maybe I can-for a few more years…What do you think?
Love you all-
Rachel

No comments: