Monday, July 5, 2010

Fireworks

After a fun weekend of fireworks in Elkhorn, Lauderdale Lakes, and Lake Geneva we are now getting ready to leave for a road trip.  In an hour or so, we leave for Virginia.  Garth’s sister is there so we will spend a few days with her and show the kids D.C. and then travel to New York to see the rest of Garth’s family for a reunion.  I am sure it will be a wonderful time of catching up with those we haven’t seen in such a long time.  We are all looking forward to it.  Pray for safe travels and good attitudes during those long car rides.

During the fireworks this weekend, I noticed something.  There was this one firework that burst forth and then stayed lit as it drifted away.  The other ones exploded open and then died out into smoke.  This one however stayed lit for quite awhile as it traveled across the sky.  It caught my attention.  I was thinking about how that can be a picture of what I want for my life.  In church on Sunday the message was fantastic!  Our pastor talked about how we each are carrying around this burden that we need to give to God to be free.  I came home from church ready to make a difference, to let my light keep shining, and immediately went right back to my impatient self like smoke in the sky.  In our own strength we are fireworks that disappear and fade away.  With the strength that comes from God, we are bright lights that stay lit and catch people’s attention.  That is what I want.

Hope your Fourth was fun!

Love

Rachel

No comments: