Tuesday, February 26, 2008

February 25, 2008 - More About Garth

Garth is slowly making a recovery. He has been in pain and very sore today. Walking around is good for healing so he has been trying to do that. I checked his incision today and it is healing well. So far so good. It is real easy to get infections here so keep praying. It is interesting being in a foreign country and going through this. There were no post-op papers, or recovery suggestions. The nurse brought Garth in some meat when he was recovering that was as hard as a rock and food that he should not be eating right after surgery. The sanitation is so different. The nurses were taking blood and doing blood tests without gloves. Even after we told them that Garth had Hepatitis C (a blood disease) they still didn’t always put gloves on. A lady that we know told us that when she was at that hospital for an ultrasound she saw a drying rack out in the sun with all of the surgical gloves on it. I sure hope they don’t wash the doctors’ gloves and reuse them! But you never know. The cleaning lady came in to “clean” the bathroom without any cleaning supplies. She just used water. I won’t even tell you about the bloody handprint on the wall in Garth’s room…Garth said when he was on the operating table before they put him under, he looked up at the big light overhead and saw blood splattered on it. I could go on, but it is a bit gross to think about. We are thankful with how things have gone so far. It could have been a lot worse.
I am wishing now that I had learned how to drive here. I have my license, but have never driven here. So…I have been walking to the store for groceries. On Monday, someone is taking me out shopping so I don’t have to walk with a big load. That will be nice. The kids are healthy at the moment. I got a call while I was at the hospital that Emma was throwing up at school. Then she got on the phone, crying, “Mommy, I want you here…”. So, I took an ojek, a motorcycle taxi, from the hospital home. She is better today though so that is good. I seem to handle things better if we have one sick person at a time.
I can’t wait to show the hospital pictures to my doctor back home. I want to hear his opinion. Thirteen weeks and we will be there. YEAH!
Love you all-
Garth is hungry so I am going to go make him some eggs.
Rachel

No comments: