Friday, February 22, 2008

February 18, 2008 - Let me tell you what's been going on

RAIN AND CAKE
Would you believe it? It is raining here-go figure?!? Ha ha. It can pour and pour all night but by midmorning it is all dried up, swallowed up by the ground. We have had very few full days of rain, but many, many full nights of rain.
We celebrated Beernt’s birthday today and at his request, we had barbecue chicken-a hostel favorite. Finger lickin’ good. And, we actually had 2 cakes because I was mortified by how the first one turned out (and a little embarrassed) so I quickly made another. I tried to make a Boston cream pie. Everything is different here: the pans, the oven, the ingredients…yada yada yada. Anyways, they ate it, but the chocolate one I made was the favorite.
UPDATE ON THE LEG GUY:
The other day while Jason was changing Yanis’ bandage he had a seizure on the table. Good thing his friends were there to hold him or he may have fallen right off. He had quite a hard time breathing afterwards for about 20 minutes. Jodi called our nurse and she rushed over to keep an eye on him and check him out. Unfortunately, there isn’t much you can do here regarding seizures and medicine, so it may not be treatable. His leg however, is looking great. Yahoo!
UPDATE ON ME
And speaking of things getting better, I am feeling wonderful! I was quite sick for awhile with strep. I thought I was better and then got another attack. I had a real hard time getting rid of the fevers, and had to be in bed a lot. But, that is behind me now. (Let’s have a party!) Garth is so great in times like that. He just takes over and helps out so much with the kids, especially Cale. I was a bit frustrated on Saturday when I was laying in bed. I was thinking about how sick we all have been. And I thought, “Lord, since we decided to stay another year, Sophie has gotten malaria, Cale had strep and now I have strep. All within about 2 weeks. Garth asked me if it made me question our decision, and I said “No, it didn’t. “ But it does make me wonder what we are supposed to be learning through all of this. So I thought about that while I laid in bed. Am I supposed to learn more patience, endurance, flexibility? Is it to help me realize how thankful I should be for health, or to see how great Garth is in these times? Is it to give me a needed rest, help me spend more time reading to the kids or watching movies with them while I am here in bed? What? And I said, out of my frustration, “What are you trying to show me?” And in the complete stillness, I heard, softly in the quietness of my head, “My power.” Your power? How are you going to show me your power? And I heard, “Just wait.” So I laid there, pondering this. I realized that, He has a plan. And somewhere in His plan, He plans on showing me His power in a way I haven’t seen yet. That is pretty cool. I’m o.k. with that. It is fffffiiiiinnnnnneeeee with me.
VALENTINE’S DAY
Another thing that is fine with me is Valentine’s Day. I love it! We had a great party here with the kids friends. We had a candlelit dinner with heart shaped pancakes, fruit, bacon, and a special punch and flowers that Cale and I picked on the table. Later, we watched a movie. The girls all made movies while Wyatt videoed. Fun, fun, fun.
Speaking of fun, I had a dream the other night that I was shopping in our Super Walmart back home. I was going up and down each aisle in my mind looking at all the things I miss-lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, granola bars…Garth thinks it is crazy that I was shopping in my dream. Oh, well, us women, we are a little crazy!!!!! Aren’t we?
O.k. time to go to bed and dream of …Target Greatland.
Love-Rachel

No comments: