Thursday, December 27, 2007

December 27th - Selamat Natal

Merry Christmas, or if you were here I would say "Selamat Natal!" I hope your Holidays weren't so crazy that you couldn't enjoy them. We had a very nice Indonesian Christmas. Our house was full-we had 16 total over for Christmas dinner. Our dinner was much like yours I am sure. We had turkey and stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, rolls, 2 sweet potato dishes, corn, peas, pumpkin pies, cookies, and a peppermint brownie torte. It was stupendous. I enjoyed every bite.
The kids all ran around and played outside, the ladies cleaned up and the guys went to buy fireworks. Then we had dessert, gave the kids baths, and we all watched Elf and popped popcorn. It was a fun day.
The kids are all feeling better. Cale had a horrible fever, 104, on Christmas Eve. Christmas day he was still a little sick, but today he is much improved. Thank you to all who prayed. Scott, we greatly appreciate the prayers you prayed for our little ones. Thanks.
A BIG thank you also to those of you that shared with us this Christmas-Aunt Bea and Uncle David, Phyllis, Grandpa Frank, Roy and Taney, Mary, Papa Don and Priscilla, Faith Christian School, Dottie, Bev, Ron and Kerrie, Dad's Bible study group, Mom and Dad and Carlena and Donald...who am I forgetting? If I forgot you, please, send me an email and remind me. Don't take it personally, o.k.?
With so many people gone for the holidays, the hill here is very quiet. We had people asking us to feed their cats, give keys to their pembantu, and the director asked Garth to be in charge of the generator while he was gone. So 6 times out of the last 8 nights, the power has gone off during the night. That means Garth has to get dressed and go down to the benkel (garage) and flip the switch for the generator-sometimes it is around 1 am othertimes it is around 5 am.
(The little things we so easily take for granted, huh?) This afternoon we are going over to some friends' house. I am bringing pizza and ice cream and we are going to hang out. They have a amazing yard and it is so fun for the kids to run around. They also have bikes and our kids miss riding bikes, so it is a treat. The last time I went to Abeh I found ice cream cones, and the new store here has ice cream so that will be a treat too.
We are thoroughly enjoying this family time. It has been so special for us to wake up and not have work or activites to rush out for. We have been hanging out, playing games, ping pong, watching movies, playing in the gym, taking walks, reading books, wrestling...I feel so blessed by the family that God has given me. The kids get along and play so well together that it is a joy not a stress to be together.
God sure knew what He was doing when He picked them for me.
I hope that today you can find time to reflect on a blessing that God has given you, and thank Him for it. You are important to Him and He cares about you. And so do I.
Happy Holidays-
Rachel

No comments: