Thursday, December 20, 2007

December 14, 2007 - Christmas Concert, Partners, and Pondok Natals

Emma was the most amazing Mary you can imagine. She just walked right up to the microphones for her solos and sang her heart out. She didn’t appear nervous at all. And Sophie was such a cute angel. She knew everyone’s lines and all the words to the songs. That girl has quite the memory. Wyatt did great with all the songs he had to sing. In one part he sang “Silent Night” in German and Korean. He learned them quick and remembered every word. We are so proud of them. Last year at this time was our church’s’ Christmas program and Cale was the baby Jesus. That was his shining moment. This year he slept through the whole thing.
Today we had our going away party for the two dorm kids that are leaving-Kelsea and Kolbe, along with the concert and the fact that I was helping with the costumes, and this morning at 6:30 we received a phone call telling us that Ibu Poppi would not be coming in because there was a death in the family…it is always difficult to get everything done when we are short a pembantu. Especially when it is our cook! But we got everything done! YIPEE! Tomorrow Garth is taking our friends Jason and Jodi to the airport. They are flying to Bali for a vacation. It will start clearing out here soon. A lot of people go away for the holiday. Finals start tomorrow and go till Tuesday, but the school allows the kids that are leaving early to take finals early. So one by one they will start leaving. I tell you. It will be quiet.
Garth had an interesting experience yesterday. He was down at the bottom of our hill waiting for a store to open, when a man we see often here, ( a very gay man) came by. At the same moment Garth saw his friend Jason and waved at him-however, the man, (John), thought that Garth was waving at him. So John came over. The conversation went something like this.
J: “Oh, Hi. My name is John. What is your name?”
G; “My name is Garth.”
J: “Oh, hi, Garth. Are you American?”
G: “Yes, I am.”J: “I LOVE Americans. Do you like music?”
G: “Yes, John. I like all kinds of music.”
J: “I like American music. I like Justin Timberlake. And I like your hair, and your sunglasses. Maybe I go for ride on your motorcycle some time. Will you be my partner?”

That is not the whole conversation. I had to do some editing. But you get the idea. Every day is an experience.
There is a tradition here at Christmas time to have pondok Natals. What that means is that certain places will choose to play Christmas and other assorted music at any hour of the day as loud as their speakers will go. There is a new pondok Natal that is right in the valley on the left side of the hostel. It has been starting at about 5 am and going until any hour of the night they choose. We have had one on the right side of the hostel for weeks but this one is by far the earliest in the morning. Even with your pillow on your head, it is loud. The first day I thought it was coming from our living room because the noise was so horrendous. It is an added reason to have patience. The other day we were shopping in Hypermarket here in Indonesia listening to “Feliz Navidad” in Spanish. Ha HA.
Well, these words are starting to blur together because my eyes are getting droopy, and I know that 5 am will come really soon…so I better say “Good-Night!”
Love to all-
Rachel

No comments: