Wednesday, December 8, 2010

God Letters

Have you seen the movie “Letters To God?”  It is a beautiful, touching movie about a boy with cancer who journals by writing letters to God.  We watched it together as a family last week and afterwards the kids talked about wanting to do the same thing.  So we constructed a box in which to “mail” letters to God. 
What would you say in a letter to God?  Would it be simple to write?  I think about when I write letters to a good friend, I have no problem thinking of questions to ask and fun things to say.  Why?  Because I am close to them-the words come easy.  But when I write a letter to someone that I don’t know very well, I have to think long and hard to come up with enough things to put down on paper.  Sophie’s heart is very close to God.  She thinks about Him, talks to Him, and reads about Him all the time.  She let me read one of her letters.  This is what it said:

Dear God,

How many stars are there?  Please forgive all my sins.  Help them to be washed away.  I love you.  How is it up in Heaven?  Fun?  Great?  Fantastic?  Well, my guess is all those together.  I wish I was up with you, but thanks for making me on Earth for a purpose.  Im glad to have what I do have:  a Mom, a Dad, two brothers, a cat, and one sister who is great.  Thanks for reading this.

Sophie Joy Erickson

If you have time this week, try it.  Write God a letter-straight from your heart to His.  I know that He will read it.

Love you

Rachel

clip_image001

No comments: