Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why I am Here

First day of school…remember that feeling?  You are excited about all the new things like crayons and notebooks but nervous about the unknowns.  Well, that is what all of our kids are going through right now.  Sophie is in third grade, Emma in fifth, and Wyatt in seventh.  Going from sixth to seventh grade is a big adjustment and Wyatt is experiencing it without his best friend who has gone back to the States.  All of the dorm kids this year are in High School.  We are still very understaffed and so Grades 1 and 2 haven’t started yet, and there will be no band or music classes this year.  Pray for visas to go through and for willing hearts to come here and serve.clip_image002

Did you ever read the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day?  I feel like we could write our own version of that with all the things that are wrong with the hostel right now.  Our kitchen is all messed up and we still have no hot water, the oven isn’t hooked up, the counter is cracked and so paint chips break off, many of the cabinets won’t close and there are ants everywhere.  The hot water doesn’t work in our shower, the dinner table isn’t finished, there are holes in the screens that let bugs and lizards in, there are termites, we still haven’t found our cat which means soon we will have a rat problem as well…should I go on?????

Blah, blah, blah…o.k. I got all that out of my system.  I have to keep telling myself that I am not here for my comfort.  I am here to minister to the dorm kids that need me.  I am here to find ways to bless others.  I am here in obedience to what God has asked me to do.  When I stop remembering that, I get frustrated at all these ‘terrible, horrible, no good bothersome’ things.  Instead, I need to look out at the beautiful mountain in our backyard and taste the fresh, juicy pineapples, and see the way the kids rush in the door after school to see us and tell us all about their day, their joys and struggles…Ahhhhhh, I can do this…This is why I am here.

Thanks for praying.

Love you-
Rachel

No comments: