Saturday, August 21, 2010

Dry, Parched Ground

This week we had another brush fire start up because everything here is so very hot and dry.  Anytime the fire is anywhere near the school or the houses people start to get worried.  This one was very close so all the gardeners ran to get branches and a hose to try to steer it away or put it out.  They always do a great job working together in situations like that, and once again they put the fire out. 

Lately we are all looking eagerly to the skies for any sign of gray clouds that may come this way bearing rain.  The ground is so cracked and dry, the grass so brown, the leaves drooping down in need of rain.  Once rain starts to fall down the ground can’t soak it up fast enough.  The Bible says that Jesus is our “Living Water.”  I am realizing that I need to be like a dry, parched ground aching to soak up every drop.  Longing for the nourishment that only He can provide. Nothing else can satisfy, nothing.  I can go outside with a hose and try to water stuff but there is no way I have enough water, and what I do won’t last.  But the rain…that is what the ground needs.  Just like with me, I can try to get happiness and fulfillment from other people or things, but nothing will last like a life soaked up in Jesus.  Only when I am filled up with Him can I grow and produce fruit.  What good is a withered up tree?  Not much.  I don’t want to be like that.  How about you?

Love you-

Rachel

clip_image001clip_image002clip_image003clip_image004clip_image005

No comments: