Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Surprises

This morning we had to drop some stuff off at a hospital here and I thought I would take some pictures to show you what it looks like.  All around there were people sleeping on mats outside hospital rooms of loved ones that had to spend the night.   Outside the hospital, the clouds hung lazily all around the tops of the trees.

clip_image001clip_image002clip_image003clip_image004clip_image005clip_image006clip_image007clip_image008clip_image009

It has been very cloudy and rainy here which makes for some beautiful sunsets and rainbows.  Can you see the rainbow in the first picture below?  (I know, it is faint) and the sun illuminating the clouds last night was magnificent.

clip_image010clip_image011clip_image012clip_image013

Today Cale asked me to give him some wishes.  So I said, “Cale you have 5 wishes.  What will you wish for?”  He said, “I wish for a turtle, a puppy, a big suitcase, one of those things you put in your mouth and blow and it makes noise, and a guitar.”

What would you wish for with 5 wishes????  I think my first wish would be for Indonesia to be closer to Wisconsin!  Ha.

Beyond that, I am not sure.  That is one of those questions you really have to think about.

The kids have been doing chores and collecting allowance.  I encouraged them to think about what they could do with their money.  They have been giving some to the orphanage in Haiti, and some to church and some to save.  I talked to them about a missionary family that we want to help out and Emma said right away that she wanted to give money to them as well.  Sophie however, said very matter-of-factly that she won’t be giving anything to that family because she has other plans for her money.  I asked her what they were.  She told me that she is saving her money to travel around the world visiting people that are poor and passing out her money.  And she wants to develop new medicines and deliver those to people  that need them as well.  Pretty ambitious for a 7 year old!

What were your dreams when you were seven?  Do you remember?  Since I could breathe I wanted to get married and have babies-besides that I wanted to teach, and write my own books, and have my own TV show, and be a chef…I remember my sister wanting to be a weather girl or an astronaut.  Now she is an optometric assistant and a mommy.  It is so interesting the way our lives go down different paths.  I would never have guessed that I would be in Indonesia!  God is full of surprises!  I LOVE surprises, don’t you?

Love

Rachel

No comments: