Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sandwich

Let me tell you about the kind of sandwich my daughter Emma likes to eat. Bread, ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard. That is it. No, I didn’t leave anything out. Honestly, that it how she likes it. Now, most of us fellows sandwich lovers would hearken to say that something is missing from that sandwich. Like meat for instance, and lettuce and tomato and a nice juicy pickle…But to Emma, it is perfect. She doesn’t think it needs anything more. Although, I am fine with her eating just that, part of me wants to make her a sandwich the “real” way and let her taste how yummy it could be. I was thinking about that. The same idea applies to my life. I can be so “fine” with the way I am living my life, that I don’t think anything is missing. Great, I only lost my temper twice today, or I gave my kids one hug, or I spent 30 minutes with my husband, or I spent time with God today; I prayed on the way to the store…any number of things in my day that I think are “just fine”. However, God has this great, big, scrumptious sandwich for me-blessings that I am missing that I am not even aware of because I am doing things my way, or because my day is too busy, or because I feel crabby…Whatever. I don’t want my life to be missing anything. I want it all in there. That will make each day more delicious!
Love you
Rachel

1 comment:

jo said...

I love this post Rachel. A good word for me today. How often I settle! Thanks for sharing,