Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Noodle Shirt

Emma was trying on her clothes today looking for the perfect outfit for picture day tomorrow. She knows that they are not allowed to wear shirts with spaghetti straps and wanted to ask me about this one pink shirt-whether or not it would be ok. She couldn’t however remember the name of that kind of shirt. So she says to me, “Mom, is this a noodle shirt?”
Our day today was full, as I am sure yours was too. We have our normal pitfalls of the day. I decided not to “fall” into them and wallow but instead to go on around. Our main cook, Ibu Poppi is still sick. She left early yesterday and came in looking and feeling awful today. She asked for something for her headache, borrowed a bunch of money the other day and said that she was going back to the hospital tonight for x-rays on her shoulder and chest. I am not sure if she will be able to work tomorrow. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it. This morning we needed to run to a store for a few things but when we got there we noticed that it was closed. All of the power in that area was off so the store didn’t open. It wasn’t open yesterday either because it was a holiday…Then, when we got back home I went up to the main school office to help out with some ordering they are trying to do for next year. Talk about being prepared. They have to order the stuff now so that they will have it by next August. Right after lunch, Garth had to take a dorm girl to the hospital for more x-rays on her ankle that may or may not be broken. We take the x-rays here and then email them to a doctor in Singapore. Cale wanted to help me in the kitchen cook up stuff for dinner. I thought he was rinsing my dishes for me, but then noticed that he was dumping the wash water in with the rinse water and then dunking his whole head in, and sloshing it on the floor. (He’s fired!) Garth had to take one of our boys to the next mountain over and one of our girls to piano lessons, in between he played racquetball, we had homework, I did my walking and the final prep for dinner and then devotions and bed. And like a swirl of wind, the day is done.
We had a fun time as a dorm last night. A family here gave us some marshmallows so I decided we HAD to have a bonfire!!!! (I know, a bonfire in 90 degree weather…that’s what Garth said) but it was great fun. Just don’t sit too close to the fire.
We are trying to get in the Christmas spirit. We have a few decorations, and the kids have helped me cut snowflakes and paper angels, and paper chains. We did splurge and buy some Indonesian Christmas lights that play music. One of the “Christmas” songs that they play is “Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water…” How is that a Christmas song?
Oh, and another bit of news is that my Mom and Dad have a new dog---------Yahoo! A beautiful chocolate Labrador. She will be a great addition to our family I am sure.
Well, I hope you are not too stressed out about Christmas, it is 16 days away you know? Did I just stress you out more? Sorry. Speaking as one who is sooooooooooooo far removed from the fun, festive, wonderfulness that the holiday time brings, here is some advice. Don’t do so much that you are caught up in the chaos of all the planning and cooking and craziness. Cut back somehow so that you are able to enjoy the season, the fresh snow, the smell of real pine, and cinnamon cooking on the stove and family being together, cuddling in front of a fire, reading a story together or telling stories together, laughing at old pictures, and playing games, and watching old movies while holding hands etc. O.k. maybe I am going overboard with my romanticness (that is not a word, I know, because I have a red squiggly line under it), but I think you get my point.
Enjoy it, somehow. Because before you know it, it will be over.
Love you
Rachel

2 comments:

jo said...

Ha! I'm laughing out loud at the Noodle. Love your post today Rachel. I was just thinking about this very thing - overlooking the little extraordinary gifts all around us while we try to get ready for the BIG DAY!!!! It gets harder every year to simplify Christmas. Thanks for a good reminder. Your new Christmas look is Beautimous!!! Miss you.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

What a busy day! Love the noodle story. = ) Hope you are enjoying the HOT Christmas season!
Love,
Caroline