Wednesday, August 6, 2008

August 5, 2008 - In Bali

With my own small bladder and 4 small children taking them to the bathroom on the airplane could be likened to a part-time job! YES< WE MADE IT as far as Bali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Lord!

The short version (if you are in a hurry)
The flight was long and a little bit harried, but we arrived without many problems. We now have a few days to adjust then an overnight flight back to Papua and we will be done.

The longer version (if you have the time)
We woke up at 5:00 a.m., got ready, and left the house around 6:00 a.m. in the pouring rain for Milwaukee. Once we got there, we found out that our flight to Chicago had been cancelled due to weather. The airline said that we could take a bus and get there around 10 or 10:30. However, my WONDERFUL family decided to drive us to Chicago instead. So, we said good-bye to Tessie poo (thanks for coming) and started the drive. It was still pouring and there was an accident in our lane where a car went under a truck. That slowed the traffic down considerably. Even with one porta-potty stop at a construction site, we still made it in plenty of time-said our horrendous sobbing good-byes-and made our noon flight. I am awful at saying good-bye. It literally rips out my innards! So many wonderful people came by these last few days to wish us well, and I could list you all, but then it would be the novel version. I love and appreciate all of you, please know that. In spite of all of the turbulence, not one of us threw up this time. Yahoo! Cale did keep bumping the attendant call button, even once in the bathroom he pushed it which sent an attendant knocking and asking, “Are you alright in there? Hello? Do you need some assistance?” Whoops!
We had a seat open up next to Wyatt which gave us a little bit of extra room, our baggage went straight through which is a huge answer to prayer, and the kids were able to sleep a bit on two of the flights so that is great. We landed in Tokyo after midnight our time but around 3 in the afternoon their time. This part was a bit harried. After landing in Toyko at 3, we had to go through security and catch the shuttle over to our terminal arriving just 3 minutes before boarding. It was nice to not have a long layover, but that was cutting it a little close, especially when we were all so tired. The kids did amazing! They all helped each other, and when one of us would start to get testy, someone else would encourage them out of it. Everyone fell asleep on this flight and slept right through the meal, so by the time we landed we were all pretty hungry. Luckily, I still had some grapes and crackers and a banana and apples. There is nothing at the Indonesian airport to eat, and we were anxious to get through customs and immigration. We had all of our passport stuff and re-entry papers and our visas, so we got through rather quickly. There was one bag that they opened up and searched through but that was it. Our driver from the hotel was waiting and ready-that is unheard of! He talked to Garth the whole way about America-“Do you know the Chicago Bulls? I know Dennis Rodman. And George Bush, Ronald Reagan, and Arnold Schwarzenegger…” It is always interesting what they hear about America from TV. We arrived at the hotel at 11 and filled everything out, and checked in. We were told the restaurant was no longer serving, so we decided we would rather sleep than eat anyway and after showers everyone was out. It is amazing how much better you can sleep when you can lay down instead of being upright. At 6:00 a.m. everyone started waking up-hungry! There is a very nice breakfast here at the hotel and my kids really enjoyed it. You should see their eyes light up at all of the choices available at the buffet. It is a very Indonesian breakfast with spicy rice and meat stuffed things, but there are also eggs, and bakery items etc. so they have fun.
Right now Garth is at the pool with the kids and I am in the room putting Cale to sleep for his nap. Please pray that we are able to relax and recharge these couple of days in Bali, because once we leave we have an overnight (2:30 a.m.) flight to Sentani and then that day unpacking, sleeping, and readjusting. The next day we have to buy all of the food and supplies for the dorm kids and the following day they all come. We really need to feel ready, and not exhausted.
You guys have all helped us get here in one way or another, and so I want to say thank you. I have mixed emotions, but I know God is good and will not let us down. He brought us here for a reason and if I have a bad attitude I will miss what He wants me to see. The last few days I have had a song stuck in my head that I love and it says, “Lord, I run to you. Nobody else will do.” I have been thinking about those words, because we all run to something when we are in trouble-our friends or spouse, food, whatever we can buy etc. We are looking for things to make us feel better, but nothing with fill us like He can. I am learning that more and more.
I will keep you posted on all our ups and downs. I have decided to be more honest this year with you all. There were a lot of struggles that I left out, but I think God will use them if I let Him so I will share with you good and bad so you can see how God is working.
Love you all dearly-
Rachel

No comments: