Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Starting to settle

We are so blessed to have such a wonderful opportunity right now. I feel like I have been complaining in my past e-mails (thanks Harold for so politely pointing that out!), I certainly hope you didn't take all of my struggles adjusting as me not wanting to be here. I am very glad to be here. Many of you reading my e-mails may not be going overseas and I guess I am just painting the picture of what I am going through to help you understand and pray for me. If I have been complaining, please accept my apologies. Ok, as Sophie would say, "Moving on," today ran so smoothly. I had another interpreter come over and talk to our pembantu's about the cooking. And I am happy to say that they cooked lunch and then made dinner for me to heat up. That was fantastic!!! Some ladies invited to me to go walking with them and I did because I didn't have to cook, and I was able to see the kids more. Things are going very well right now. Our dorm kids are adjusting and doing great. We really have a good group. Our last kid arrived today. YEAH!!! Now we are all here. So, some of you have been asking where they are all from-We have Song Min and Sungsu from Korea (they are not related), Kolbe and Kelsea from Northern Ireland, Korey and Tj are brother and sister adopted from Korea, Sharieta and Beernt are from Holland, Lydia and Josue are from Mexico, and Becca from Hawaii-her parents are now in Peru. And us from Wiscooooooooooooooooonsin. It is kind of like that TV show where all those people were put together in one house-I don't remember what it is called. I am in the process of putting together a menu for Poppi for the month. We had a couple come over today that were once dorm parents here and they helped us with some stuff and she gave me some help with the menu, and they helped Garth with the bookkeeping. Now we feel a bit more prepared. If anyone reading this knows of anyone that would like a great adventure they are always looking for teachers here. Right now the first graders have a half day 3 days a week because they don't have an teacher that can teach in the afternoons. It is an excellent school, very accelerated with lots of AP classes for the High school. Also if anyone has some menu ideas...let me know. Some of you have asked about the list of things we need-I can tell you some of it, but I am adding to it everyday as I come across stuff, so here are some of the items: pot holders, oven mitts, 2 pizza cutters (they cost about $25.00 each here), rubber scrappers (spatulas), a paddle attachment for a Kitchen - Aid mixer, 3 peelers, towels for drying dishes, rags for washing dishes, 7 shower curtains and liners, boy and girl sheets for twin beds and curtains for boys rooms and girls, bug spray, cinnamon, posters or anything that could cover up these cement walls, chalk for school, crayons, markers, colored pencils, white board markers, black sharpies, pencils, erasers, and erasers for the white board...that is all can see so far. We have quite a few kids that are in the praise and worship team at church. They are very talented. It will be fun singing with them.O.k. I need to go. You guys are very special to us.Love ya,RachelThanks for praying!

No comments: