Saturday, August 18, 2007

August 18 2007

OOOOFTA!! I need to just take a deep breath for a moment. Today was busy to say the least. We had our first dorm kid come this morning. We got a call saying he was at the airport and could we pick him up. But Garth can't drive here so we had to find him a ride. His name is Sung Men Kim, (he is from Korea). He has been here a couple of years so he was very helpful in filling us in on how things work. Then around 11 ish some more kids came. Kathryne brought her son and daughter to stay in the dorm. Her son is 16 and her daughter is 13, Kelsey and Colby, (from Ireland.) They are new to the dorm but not new to the area. They were also very helpful. I was under the understanding through an interpreter that our pembantu's were going to start today with the cooking. They came this morning and were a flurry of activity getting the wash done, the floors clean, setting the table etc. Then they were gone, and kids started coming. Hungry kids. I was like " O.K. Where did they go?"
So we had Mac-N-Cheese and a few pieces of bread for sandwiches, and I had some yogurt and cookie bars that I had made yesterday. So lunch worked out. Then I started thinking, I bet I am on my own for dinner too. So I made 4 batches of bread and looked around for any ingredients in the dorm that I recognize. See, I bought a lot of food, but quite a bit of it was stuff that I did not recognize. I found spagetthi and a little bit of tomato sauce. I cut up a manga from our tree, cut up some carrots and prayed for God to multiply it. Then right before dinner we had another family with 3 kids come, and they also joined us. They are from Holland. Praise the Lord we had enough. The pembantu's don't work on Sunday, so tomorrow's meals should be interesting as well.

Tonight we noticed that the water pressure was way low. The director came around and told us that he was turning off the water in 15 minutes to let the water towers refill with water,so if anyone wanted to shower they should do it now. He said he would turn it back on in 2 1/2 hours. So I sit here stinky waiting for the water to go back on so I too can shower.

The rest of the kids should arrive some time tomorrow. We aren't exactly sure when. Both sets of parents that we met today were so supportive and appreciative of what we are doing for their kids. I know that it is going to be a great year. We are excited to all that God has planned. What an adventure!!
The water will come on in a few minutes so I am going to run. Oh, but first I forgot to mention that Garth has set up a blog site for me to post my e-mails and for us to put pictures. If you want to get to it click on: http://www.blogger.com/i.g?inviteID=699706859386129472&blogID=3452833362079955072
Let me know if you have any problems getting to it. My friend Angela is out of the hospital. She will have a bit of a recovery. I can't remember the word for what she has. I will send it tomorrow. Our friend Curt is moving into rehab, but has a long road ahead of him. He is remembering some things but not others. Keep praying for him.
Laura, could you send me Sarah C. e-amil address and Alexis if you have it. Thanks.
Bye, Rachel

No comments: