Thursday, February 6, 2014

Waldo

So, we woke up Sunday morning and happened to notice that at 8:30 a.m. it was already 110 degrees.  Haha.  Isn't that funny?  It is so hot, especially compared to the extreme cold most of you have been having.  Guess what we decided to do?  Have a picnic-outside.  Yes, we are crazy.  But, it was really relaxing.  And it wasn't tooooooo hot in the shade.
We are getting healthier here.  I think I mentioned that we had all kids back in school on Friday.  Yeah!  But I think I celebrated too soon.  Cale has been home all this week with fevers.  We just found out last night that he has malaria.  We have a few other dorm kids with stomach issues.  One stayed home on Tuesday.  Hopefully they will be well soon, because all of the  high schoolers have overnight activities this weekend.  The boys are all going to Kali Biru (Blue River) for two nights of camping out and cooking meals over a fire and jumping off of cliffs into the roaring rapids.  (I wonder how Wyatt will do with his broken bones...).  And the girls are going to the guest house in Jayapura and to the beach.  It is SEW which stands for Spiritual Emphasis Weekend.  It is a fantastic time of bonding and refocusing on God.  They are really looking forward to it.  It will be nice for us to have the middle schoolers to ourselves.  We are planning some fun things to do with them.
We had two Indonesians come to our door the other day with a cuscus (tree kangaroo) for sale.  He was asking 5 juta which is around $500.00.  We played with it for awhile, but did not buy it.  Quite an expensive pet!
There has been a lot going on with the Hostel these last few weeks and I have my days of discouragement.  Yesterday I was talking to God about it, and I heard Him say, "I am in this."  And I got a picture in my mind of the Where's Waldo books.  On some pages I can find Waldo quite quickly.  But on other pages, I scan and scan and search the page over and over looking for Waldo.  Finally when I see him, I am like, "My goodness!  He was right there."  That is how it is sometimes with God.  Sometimes it is easy to see what God is doing-it is obvious He is right in the midst of what is going on.  But other times we are searching, wondering what He is doing.  We are scanning the situation looking for evidence of Him.  Then, we see it.  We find Him and realize He was right there all along.  He is in this.  I know it.  I feel it.  My faith tells me to trust, even on the days when I haven't found Him yet.  I have an amazing God that has promised He will never leave me alone.  I can count on that-over and over again.

Here are some pictures:










1 comment:

Amy Marten said...

I'm glad you are back Rachel! So neat to hear about what you guys are doing across the country :) praying for you..lots of sick little ones around us too...if we could only stay above 10 degrees ;)