Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Difference

So much to be thankful for!   Tomorrow, Thanksgiving will come to the Hostel!  We are having 40+ people over for the celebration.  I am probably the last one to celebrate Thanksgiving (Dec.1st!!!!) but it was the only time it would fit into our schedule.  I am so excited!  I love to get together with everyone around a good meal.  We are having all the kids from Hostel One and some friends come over for the feast.  Everyone pitched in today and helped with the meal, decorations, and moving around tables and chairs.  The feast will be Sunday at 1:00.  I wanted to have it all set up today so there is less to do tomorrow.  This is what the Hostel looked like at 6:30 p.m. right before I left to go up to school to sell concessions for the drama performance:



And this is what it looked like when I came back at 9 after the boys decided to use the space for a BB gun war:


Haha.  Yes, they did help clean it all up and put everything back the way it was!  Well, almost like it was before.  I kept finding BB's in the strangest places...
I always find it interesting to see what is the same and what is different about being on the other side of the world.  We will celebrate Thanksgiving here very much like you did.  Someone brought us in a turkey (WOW) and we will have stuffing, potatoes, pumpkin pies etc. so our feast will look very familiar.  However, there was one thing in particular that proved to me that I am not in Williams Bay anymore.  Today while I was in the kitchen working on the food, I saw a rat run across the doorway and go behind the washer.  I quickly closed the connecting door so it could not get to me.  Then I called our dorm boys to go and get rid of it.  They tried for awhile and were about to give up, when I said, "A whole bottle of Coke goes to the winner.  Get rid of the rat and it is yours."  Suddenly there was a crowd in there trying to take care of the problem.  And as a team, they succeeded.  So, we celebrated in the kitchen with two bottles of Coke for everyone.  Haha.  And then I went back to mashing my potatoes.  What fun, huh?



Okay, enough drama for the day.  I am off to bed.  I will send you Thanksgiving pictures tomorrow.
Love you all-

Rachel

No comments: