Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Quiet Voice

I learned a valuable lesson the other day.  We were at church for a service and Cale won a lollipop.  He happily showed it to me, opened it and went to eat it.  I told him that he had to wait and have it after dinner.  He did not like hearing that and proceeded to throw a fit.  I took him aside and told him that if he choose to keep throwing that fit, I would take the lollipop away but if he stopped he could have it after dinner.  He choose to keep throwing the fit.  So I took away the lollipop, and put it in my purse.  That made him act even worse.

I calmly took him home and talked to him about how his behavior was wrong and how when he is upset, he should ask Jesus to help him calm down instead of letting his anger get him into trouble.  Well, there was a lot more that I wanted to say.  He had said some hurtful things and I wanted to make him apologize.  I knew that if I told him to say he was sorry he would.  But instead I decided to pray that God would talk to his heart.

About 2 hours later while we were watching a Christmas movie, he came over and laid by me.  He said he was so sorry for how he was acting and for what he said.  Then he asked me if he could take the lollipop and throw it away.  I was so moved by how God answered my prayer.  It is easy for me to “play” the Holy Spirit in situations like these-where I think it is my “job” to convict their young hearts.  But because I kept my mouth shut, God spoke to his heart in a way I never could. It was a fantastic lesson on how to listen to that quiet voice inside of you.

Rachel

clip_image001

No comments: