Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Sink

One of the benefits to living here in Indonesia is that I have house helpers.  This Hostel when it is full houses about 18.  So for me to do all the laundry, cooking and cleaning each day would be insane.  When the helpers, or pembantus, are doing their job it is a blessing to me. 

We have a young lady, that does the cleaning.  Her name is Agu.  She cleans our apartment on Tuesdays.  I usually teach Preschool on Tuesdays, so it is nice for me to leave the apartment with it dirty and return home with it all clean.  Last week, I walked in to see clean bedrooms, a clean living room, clean bathrooms, and a clogged up sink in our room full of black, icky water.  The way our apartment was designed, they put a toilet, shower and sink in our bedroom.  I mean IN our bedroom-right there.  That was the sink that was clogged.  It made the whole room feel gross.  We asked the maintenance workers to fix the sink, (again), but it took them almost a week to come over.  With the heat here, it didn’t take long until it began to smell.  I scooped out all the water, cleaned it and told the kids not to use it, but someone always forgot.  Then the water would sit again and stink.

I know I have areas like that in my life.  I might look nice and “clean” in lots of places, but if there is one spot that is full of bitterness, or anger, selfishness, being judgmental, proud etc. then it will soon make other areas stink.  I can act like I am holy, perfect or good - like emptying out the sink, but if I don’t deal with the problem, give it to God, and ask for forgiveness it will come back and start to stink all over again.  One spot can ruin a great life, and prevent you from living the abundant life that God has designed for you.

clip_image001clip_image002

No comments: