Tuesday, September 15, 2009

An Incident

We had a little incident last week that shook me up a bit. I ran into our pasar (outdoor market) and Garth and Cale stayed in the van. While I was in there, a man came up to me and was bugging me for money for a cigarette. I kept telling him no but he got more aggravated and began grabbing my arm, pushing me around, and persisting in a louder voice. My first thought was, “I wonder if I could punch him in the nose without getting in trouble?” But finally he went away. When I walked out Garth could tell something was wrong. I told him the story and he went back in. The Indonesians saw Garth coming and knew who he was looking for. One man took us to the guy that was bothering me and Garth laid into him. “You don’t touch my wife…” The man was very apologetic to Garth (who wouldn’t be when you see how big he is), gave Garth a hug and then took Garth’s thumb and started sucking on it. (A sign of affection). Yuk! Needless to say I decided that I will not go into the pasar alone anymore. My pembantu when she heard the story was very upset that an Indonesian would treat me that way. She said she would go to the pasar for me from now on. So that is good.
The rest of our week was full of volleyball practice and games along with many of our boys going back and forth to Jayapura for a basketball tournament in Jayapura. One (school) night they didn’t get home until midnight!
Wyatt’s bike injuries are much better along with Cale’s marks from his scooter wipe out. YEAH!

1 comment:

jo said...

DId you say he was sucking Garth's thumb? That is the funniest thing I've heard all day. We need a picture please. So glad you were safe and that you had your big bodyguard with you.