Monday, November 24, 2008

Timber

Some sad news has come to us today. My parents dog, Timber, has died. He was a wonderful 10 ½ year old Golden Retriever, and we all loved him very much. Timber was born 4 days before Wyatt and they have grown up together. He had a great temperament and put up with each of our kids when they were little and wanted to ride him like a horse, dress him up, or use him as a pillow. Just recently he began limping and not using his front leg. Mom took him to the vet and found out that he had bone cancer. In a matter of a day he went downhill fast. They are sad…we are sad. Especially Sophie. That was her dog-really, she told everyone that she had a dog back home and has pictures of him up in her room. It is a wonderful thing how a good pet can become a member of the family. Timber certainly was.
The last few days have been a bit crazy for me. Our main house helper and cook, Ibu Poppi, has been sick. A few weeks ago we had to fire the other cook we had and right now we have a temporary replacement, Ibu Iche. Iche is very new and doesn’t feel confident to cook on her own for us. So I have been in the kitchen creatively thinking of what we could quickly make to feed everyone for the day. Ibu Poppi did something to her shoulder and I guess it is quite swollen and painful. She went to the hospital yesterday and had some x-rays taken but I am concerned about what we would do if she was unable to work. We would sure be in a tight spot. The lady in charge of finding pembantu’s for all of us Westerners is actually in the States right now meeting her new grandchild for the first time. But we will just take one day at a time. Growing up in a house with a great cook (thanks Mom) does have its advantages-I am sure I would be able to whip something up. She taught me a lot.
I hope you are going to be able to spend some time with family this week. If you aren’t going to see any family for Thanksgiving, at least write a letter or call some family members, or if that won’t work go outside and grab someone off the street and ask them to be your brother or sister. Then feed them, and tell them what you have to be thankful for. I know my list is long, and I am going to write about that later. But for now I must go and feed Cale.
Love to all-
Rachel

No comments: