Friday, May 2, 2008

Patience, my Dear!

I got quite the scare the other night. From who you might ask? Let me tell you. I was absolutely exhausted and had fallen into a deep sleep when I heard a little noise. So I half woke up and listened but didn’t hear anything again. Then I felt a presence-like someone was in the room. So I sat up and there at the end of my bed was Emma. Just standing there. And I SCREAMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really screamed. Garth jolts up out of bed, Emma starts crying. I am all freaked out-Garth is trying to figure out what is going on. Emma didn’t know why Mommy was screaming at her-Garth thought she had wet her pants! What an ordeal. Then she couldn’t remember why she was there. We were both worked up and trying to calm down. It took awhile after that for me to fall asleep. Not Garth. He was snoring again in a matter of minutes-of course. Wonder what I would have done if it was a burglar?
Today was so fun. The kids had off of school to celebrate Ascension Day. (Jesus rising back into heaven) So we slept in (a little) and went to the gym to play together, and took a walk, went to the pool, watched Parent Trap…I love days like this. Lazy days together. However, it wasn’t quite as lazy as I thought. Yesterday right before our pembantus left, Poppi told me that they were not coming in tomorrow because of the holiday. So I had to think quick and figure what I could make for everyone out of the food we had. I had been told that all of the stores would be closed and that everyone would be in church. I am always nervous cooking for all 16 of us-I am afraid that I am not making enough food. We had spaghetti, garlic bread, veggies and a salad- and yes, there was enough.
Friends of ours, Jason and Jodi, went to a big store in Abeh the other day to get a few things that you can’t get in stores here. While there were there, they noticed that the check-out line was getting really long. Come to find out, all of the cash registers were out and none of the scanners were working either. The owner ran to the aisle with the calculators and gave them to the cashiers. They began to enter the prices in by hand, however, many of the items had barcodes and not prices, so the workers were taking each item back to the shelf to get the prices. While this was going on, Jason took all of their items back to the shelf and wrote down the price of each so when their turn came they would be prepared. The cashier had checked out all but 3 of their items when the cash registers came back on. So, the cashier, took everything out of the bags and rescanned each item. That is so typical of life here in Papua. As westerners, we are bothered by these type of inconveniences. I was thinking about why that is, and I have decided that it is because we have expectations. The Papuans don’t. We expect to be treated the way we would be in the States. We think we have “rights” as a customer to get served quickly and efficiently. The Papuans only know this way and have nothing to compare it to. Therefore, they expect life to be as they know it to be. I, on the other hand, want to change them and make them more hurried and efficient instead of letting them change me to be more patient and understanding. Yikes! It is like I think my way is right and their way is wrong. What is up with that? With my attitude I might as well just find someone to follow me around with a fan and feed me grapes all day. Anyways, one thing I have heard since before we left was “It is not wrong just because it is different.” And I need to keep remembering that.
Well, it is 9:00 and that is curfew for a school night. Time to lock up and make sure everyone is here.
Love to all-Rachel

No comments: