Sunday, May 11, 2008

Does you stomach have a heartbeat?

This morning I was sound asleep when Sophie came in and said “Good Morning, Mommy. Can I see your tummy?” I groggily said “Yes.” So she proceeds to place her ear on my stomach. After awhile she sits up with a worried look on her face. “Mommy, I can’t hear it! I can’t hear your stomach beating.” I said , “Sophie, it is not my stomach that has a heartbeat. It is my heart, up here.” So she moved her head up and was instantly relieved. “Oh, good, Mommy. I can hear it now.”
Do you think God cares about sweaters? I do. On Wednesday night, Garth and I were watching a movie and I saw a guy zip up his sweater because he was cold and I thought, “Oh, it would be so nice to feel cold again-to be able to wear a sweater or a sweatshirt.” Well, I went to bed listening to a rainstorm that progressed all night. The storm brought with it a bunch of cool air and I will tell you, during the night I got cold. I woke up in the morning, cold, and actually got to wear a sweatshirt yesterday and long sleeves and jeans today. It has been so refreshing! How nice to feel that again. I don’t know how long it will last but I am enjoying every minute.
As of right now we cannot access our blog. We are in the midst of figuring out why the site has been blocked. Once we get it figured out I will load all of the pictures I have waiting.

I want to wish all of the Mothers a Happy Mother’s Day. Especially mine because without her I wouldn’t be here. My Mom is so much of me or I am so much of her, depending on how you look at it. Every time I make homemade bread I think of her. I loved cutting a thick piece of her warm bread that would have flecks of flax in it and spread it with butter that instantly melts. And her chocolate chip cookies were always the size of a dessert plate and loaded with chocolate chips. I have made hundreds of cookies but hers were always the best. She rubbed some of her loves off on me -I love to rearrange furniture and clean and make lists, and sing silly songs, like: “Rufus, rafus,” “C-H-I-C-K-E-N” and “Your Mommy loves you” all songs she sang to me when I was small. She taught me about priorities, and patience, the importance of laughter, and the godly way to love your husband. She showed me that I should always find the good in situations and not to complain. She lived the example of what I want to be. She showed me how my faith can grow in hard times and that it is ok to do without some comforts, and that home is anywhere that the family is, as long as you are together. And because of her, we still love to be together. We soak each other up. Part of me is missing because I am away from them, but I know that we will always be connected, because she has woven us together with God’s love into this beautiful quilt called family and nothing will ever be able to pull us apart. I am so blessed and thankful. She is a wonderful Mom and an awesome friend.
Happy Mother’s Day, Mom. I will see you in 24 days.
Love you-
Rachel

No comments: