Thursday, May 15, 2008

May 15, 2008 - Ground beef is a delicacy?

Today was rainy and dreary so we didn’t go for our usual morning ride on the motorcycle to run errands - just enjoyed hanging out at the house playing with Cale while the other kids were in school, and getting some little things done here. There is so much to do to close up the hostel for the summer. One of the big things is the inventory. We need to write down everything that is left, go to the store and price each item and then figure out the worth of it all. No food can be left in the cabinets because of rodents and pests and the freezers have to be empty, so I am trying to plan out the food so that we can use everything up and not have excess. It will be tricky. Even today ordering chicken…ugh…it is hard to know how much we will eat in the last 15 days, but there are 16 of us, so…hopefully I will guess right. Right now our meat grinder is broken and the meat store’s meat grinder is broken so you can’t get any ground beef. The part we need for our grinder is from the States so I have a feeling it might be broken for awhile. I had sloppy joes on the menu for tomorrow so I need to come up with something else now.
I do have some funny Sophie stories that will make us all forget about the meat problems. Last week I was substituting for Wyatt’s class during a time when Garth was teaching P.E.. Cale was sleeping and Sophie was out of Kindergarten so I told her she could come to the class with me. The class was working on the last of their Math homework so I told Sophie she could draw on the white board at the front of the room. I was walking around helping the students and not paying attention to what Sophie was drawing. Until she says to me, “Mom, how do you spell underwear?” I look up and there, nice and big, across the white board Sophie had drawn a picture of a girl in her underwear. Why? She just thought it would be funny. Anything for a laugh.
Later, Sophie was talking about one of the girls in her class that doesn’t like to talk or pray in front of others, and I said, “Well, maybe she is shy to do that in front of everyone.” Sophie said, “I get nervous sometimes too, but I just imagine that they are my pillows.” I am glad she didn’t say anything about imagining them in their underwear. We don’t need any more pictures of that.
A little while ago, Sophie was drawing a picture of an angel and asked how to spell angel so I told her. She made her g and her e backwards. I know that she knows her letters so I mentioned it to her and said, “Soph, why are you having a hard time with your letters tonight.” She says, “It is because I am ill.” She isn’t, but always comes up with creative excuses quickly.
During our family devotions tonight we were reading about how God is never too busy for us and He always has time to listen and answer our prayers. One of the questions at the end said, “Is there anything that you can’t pray and talk to God about?” Emma says “Nooooooo.” Sophie says, “Yeeeeeeeeeessss.” I said, “Why did you say ‘Yes’, Soph?” “Because we shouldn’t pray and ask God for Satan to not get sick. That is one thing we shouldn’t pray about, Mom.” Other than that, we can talk to Him about anything, in her book. ‘Tis true.
Well, I should go and rethink my menus. We have fish and we are getting chicken, so that is good. Why don’t you go brown some ground beef for tacos, or nachos and think of me, o.k.? YUM. That sounds good. I can’t wait to have American food again.
Love to all-
Rachel

No comments: