Tuesday, March 4, 2008

March 4, 2008




Have you ever listened to an incredible piece of music, so awe-inspiring that you didn’t want to speak and you stood still, listening, captured by the moment? I felt that way yesterday when Garth took me out on our bike ride. We were riding on a quiet road, past these amazing houses, and gardens, observing Indonesians in the midst of their daily life, past the green rolling hills, toward the majestic mountains and the powerful waterfalls to a creek with beautiful flowers growing wildly about it. And it was still. And I couldn’t help but be still. On the ride I couldn’t speak. I felt like I would spoil it-that the mystique would be shattered by the plainness of my voice. Times like that I think about how God must have felt when He created man. It says in the Bible that when He made man, and looked at what He had made, and said it was “very good.” Everything else He created He said was “good”, but when He made us, it was “very good.” I am thrilled that He made so many beautiful things for us to enjoy, but to Him, we are more beautiful than all of that. We can take His breath away. He thinks we are “very good.” I am dumb-struck at the thought of that-little me, way out here-I am special to God. You, wherever you are, are special to God. That is way cool.
Something else that is special is birthdays. And today happens to be mine. I woke up this morning to a note taped to our bathroom mirror. On it was a birthday poem and a clue as to where I could find the next clue. Garth took me through the house and outside the house and around and inside again and outside again through 9 clues until I finally ended up back where I started and found my present-a very nice necklace and matching bracelet. I was thrilled. Any time Garth writes me anything, it delights me because he is speaking my love language. The whole thing took him quite a bit of time but definitely was worth the joy it brought to my heart. The kids all made me cards, (even the dorm kids all signed a card), and my kids gave me LOTS of hugs and kisses, along with promises to be extra good today “just for you”. Garth suggested we all go to the pool. That is always a great way to spend an afternoon. Cale is swimming so much on his own, and Sophie decided today to tackle the diving boards. She started on the low board and then with a little coaxing from us, and a bit of help from Emma, decided to try the high board. It took all of her courage to jump once she got up there (It looks higher when you are on the end of the board), but she did it, and she loved it. Wyatt has been perfecting his dive. My Dad helped him learn how to dive when he was here, and now Wyatt loves it. Then we had Jason, Jodi and their 3 kids over for dinner-egg Mcmuffins on homemade English muffins, waffles with homemade syrup, maling (it is like bacon) fruit, fresh smoothies, and poppy seed muffins. YUMMY! It was loads of fun, especially since I asked them to bring their photo albums from when we were all in college. The dorm kids were rolling as they commented on our clothing styles and hair styles…goodness-how we have changed since then! Look at me, I am a whole year older today than I was yesterday. How did that happen?
Life is fun, isn’t it? I hope you enjoy the day you have right now, somehow, wherever you are. If your day isn’t going well, or you are feeling blue-here is something that should make you laugh.
This is Garth with Jason holding Wyatt
Love,
Rachel

No comments: